+ Reply to Thread

Loop through files and find specific word

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 365

Loop through files and find specific word

Hi,

I work generally with Excel and know basics of VBA programming, but I realized that actually (it's a shame) do not know Word and especially VBA for it
    I have hundreds onepage doc files and I'd like to loop them for getting value one cell right offset from word "TOTAL AMOUNT" in table embeded in document and list its through column A in Excel File.

Can you help me to start with?

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365 aka Office 365

Re: Loop through files and find specific word

Hi zico8,

See the files associated with post #3 in the following thread: http://www.excelforum.com/word-forma...erge-data.html

This mayhelp you get started accessing Microsoft Word from Excel and finding specific text within oneWord document. I do not know if this will work trying to find text in a Table. Expanding this to search through several files is relatively easy if you need help with that.

Sample code to access word from the above reference follows:
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    The code uses 'Late Binding' (which I prefer) so there is no need for additional libraries or references. For more information about 'Early Binding' vs. 'Late Binding' see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/EarlyLateBinding.html

For additional help on your specific problem, we need to see a sample Word file and a sample Excel file.

Attach a sample workbook. Make sure there is just enough data to demonstrate your need. Include a BEFORE sheet and an AFTER sheet in the workbook if needed to show the process you're trying to complete or automate. Make sure your desired results are shown, mock them up manually if necessary.

Remember to desensitize the data.

Click on GO ADVANCED and then scroll down to Manage Attachments to open the upload window.

Lewis

MS-Off Ver
    Word, Excel & Powerpoint 2003 & 2010

Re: Loop through files and find specific word

Quote Originally Posted by LJMetzger View Post
    For additional help on your specific problem, we need to see a sample Word file and a sample Excel file.
    Not really, and you've posted a fair bit of code that isn't at all applicable yet still doesn't extract any data. All that's needed is a few moments to understand the problem. The following code attends to that, though it could be simplified if we knew which table(s) to extract from and whether the required data are in, say, the last cell in the table(s).
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    The above macro assumes you want to populate the active worksheet and that the required data are in the first/only paragraph of the cells concerned. A folder browser is included, so all you need do is run the macro, select the folder, then sit back while the data are extracted.
    Cheers,
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information