+ Reply to Thread

Best Laptop for Excel

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

Best Laptop for Excel

I am looking to upgrade my laptop I use excel and have a vba program that runs microsoft solver many many times and it takes quite some time to finish the module. I am looking for something that will help speed up the solver process what should i look for i am willing to spend up to 2k.

Thanks for your time

MS-Off Ver
    2016, 2019

Re: Best Laptop for Excel

the more RAM the better
    i7 is the best
    SSD is much faster then HDD

MS-Off Ver
    2007, 2019

Asus ... lots of good reviews.

'_- Germany >Outside Building things.... Mostly
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003 2007 2010 PC but Not mac. XP and Vista mostly, sometimes Win 7

Best Laptop for Excel. Advice on Medion 39,6 cm AKOYA E6432 etc... :) Hello ! :)

Hi
    I am also thinking that I might reluctantly have to update my computer, mostly for my Excel Work.
    I too would be grateful for any advice.

_.....

My main computer is a Lap Top:
    Acer Aspire 4810TZG 4GB RAM 32 Bit computer with Operating system Vista
    and
    Excel 2007 and Excel 2010.

I use it exclusively with a second Monitor. ( Extended Monitor Option ) The second Monitor is a large old Telly. For VBA work it is great. My worksheet comes up on the big Telly, and the VB Editor and code Window is in front of me on my Lap Top Screen.

My computer is on its second hard Disk and starting to play up again

So I guess it is time to upgrade.

I really want the second Monitor. ( Extended Monitor Option ).

Question 1
    Is it fairly standard that the second Monitor option ( Extended Monitor Option ) is available with new computers. I ask as often in the shop the bloke seems to have no idea what I am talking about. Getting that info out of manufacturers is also difficult. – you know the drill you are passed from one person to the other when you call and it is usually a secretary that has no idea what you are talking about.
    I borrow a Dell 64 Bit Windows 7 machine sometimes, which somebody made themselves. It does not have a second monitor option ?

Question 2
    This is on offer at a local supermarket just now
    Medion 39,6 cm AKOYA E6432
    https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/angebote...ya-e6432-2016/
    I cannot get any information at all from the Supermarket, or Medion, ( Medion is a “no name” Computer firm that makes computers typically to mass sell in supermarkets here. )
    These things usually sell like Hot Cakes very quickly, so I will not have time to try it out.
    Does anyone have any opinion about this Computer and can advise me, for example on whether it may have the second Monitor option ( Extended Monitor Option ) is available? – I expect the clue to that may be in the graphic card ?? – I do not understand those sort of specifications.

Question 3
    There was some good advice in this Thread_....
    http://www.excelforum.com/the-water-...ml#post4492934
    _...about periodically re installing the Operating System. I have re checked and no one here I know ever got the disc supplied with the operating system on with a new computer.
    Has anyone else recently bought a new computer that had such discs included?

Question 4
    Same as the OP – Any general advice on “Best Laptop for Excel”

Thanks
    Alan
    '_- Google first, like this _ site:ExcelForum.com Gamut
    Use Code Tags: Highlight code; click on the # icon above,
    Post screenshots COPYABLE to a Spredsheet; NOT IMAGES PLEASE
    http://www.excelforum.com/the-water-...ml#post4109080
    https://app.box.com/s/gjpa8mk8ko4vkwcke3ig2w8z2wkfvrtv
    http://excelmatters.com/excel-forums/ ( Scrolll down to bottom )

MS-Off Ver
    2016, 2019

1 does your second monitor have hdmi?
    3 imho. there is a need for that if one installs software loaded from a trash quite often
    4 as i said before

MS-Off Ver

Hi tim201110
    Thanks for the reply
    Quote Originally Posted by tim201110 View Post
    1 does your second monitor have hdmi?
    3 imho. there is a need for that if one installs software loaded from a trash quite often
    4 as i said before
    _1 Yes

_3a Do you do this ? If so how regularly?
    _3b) Do you have your original Operating System Discs? If so, where did you get them ? Where they supplied with your computer?

Thanks
    Alan
    Last edited by Doc.AElstein; 11-25-2016 at 12:45 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    2016, 2019

3a never, i install software loaded only from trusted sites. all soft like ccleaner is useless, windows has those features.
    3b i've made a boot flash drive for W10 from off site

MS-Off Ver

Quote Originally Posted by tim201110 View Post
    3a never, i install software loaded only from trusted sites. all soft like ccleaner is useless, windows has those features.
    3b i've made a boot flash drive for W10 from off site
    Thanks tim201110
    Alan

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Hi Alan,
    I will avoid Acer (The air con falls). I normally buy Sony or Toshiba, but Asus seems to have got review lately.
    No matter how big any RAM is, any infinite loop will crash any powerful machine-Solver function can consume lots of memory or even any power PC might get crashed. There is a limit to any CPU or RAM sizes can cope.
    I will probably go for a minimum of SSD or I9, 8G RAM. I will not spent over 1000 dollars on Laptops as their life seems to be very short. Most Laptops die-out with out giving you any notice period.
    I like Chrome, but consumes hell lots of disk.
    Last edited by AB33; 11-25-2016 at 03:41 PM.

MS-Off Ver

Take the cover off your Computer and smack a Fan on its Bum - it will work and last better

Hi Ab33
    Thanks for the advice..

Quote Originally Posted by AB33 View Post
    ...will avoid Acer (The air con falls)....Most Laptops die-out with out giving you any notice period.
    Interesting.. I have an old ACER Computer still working well since I took the cover Off and stuck a big fan on it !!
    http://www.excelforum.com/the-water-...ml#post4154054

With my current Laptop I typically put a couple of ice Block things under it as i have a feeling it is running too hot. I probably need to take the bottom of it and stick a fan up its.......bottom

My main computer, which is a laptop, does not usually go anywhere, but I like the two Monitor arrangements I have with the smaller screen in front of me, and the Big Telly Monitor on the Wall. I find it healthy for the eyes as you switch back and forth from looking close by to a little further away. I am not sure if that would be as easy to do with two Monitors on a normal pc

Alan
    Last edited by Doc.AElstein; 11-25-2016 at 07:23 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003,2010

I've got an ASUS N61JQ. I bought it in 2011. I just ordered a new battery. But the Windows 10 install crashed it! It's been a great little notebook
    If I've helped you, please consider adding to my reputation - just click on the liitle star at the left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(Pride has no aftertaste.)

You can't do one thing. XLAdept

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~aka Orrin

MS-Off Ver

Re: Best Laptop for Excel. Talking about Orrin's A US - my Computer Bottom is still Hot

Thanks Orrin,
    Quote Originally Posted by xladept View Post
    I've got an ASUS N61JQ. .. But the Windows 10 install crashed it! ....
    – I remember Yous having problems with Win 10…. http://www.excelforum.com/the-water-...ml#post4175924
    Are Yous using Win 10 now or gone back to Win 7 ?
    Have you ever tried the extended Monitor option thing:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976064
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto-wind...monitor-setup/
    Do you know if it is available to you?
    _..................
    It seems I made a mistake in my post #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.AElstein View Post
    I borrow a Dell 64 Bit Windows 7 machine sometimes, which somebody made themselves. It does not have a second monitor option ?....... – I expect the clue to that may be in the graphic card ?? – I do not understand those sort of specifications.......
    – like a **** I just did not think to connect a second monitor first and then reset the computer... after I tried that I got it offered after_........
    _ RightClickOnDesktop SelectScreenResolution.JPG http://imgur.com/1ZY7sal
    _ ExtendedMonotor 2.JPG http://imgur.com/8SRcmNs
    _OnMe GrundigTelly.JPG http://imgur.com/M3LviNj
    _... so I expect it is standard. ( It is only my little LG120 Lap Tops with Win 7 Starter version do not seem to have it - they have Klone ( Duplicate Monitor ) but not extended monitor )
    Last edited by Doc.AElstein; 11-26-2016 at 07:15 AM.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver

Don't buy the Medion.

While there's nothing really wrong with them, consider the use someone who would buy a laptop from a supermarket would put them to - probably nothing more demanding than a couple of hundred posts on Facebook daily...

However, they are built to a price, not a specification and as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for".

MS-Off Ver

Hi cytop
    Quote Originally Posted by cytop View Post
    Don't buy the Medion.....
    Thanks for the advice. - The price is looking around the half of what I might normally need for a Lap Top that might be appropriate, so the “cheapness” does give some concern. Having said that, the Supermarket in question has a fairly good reputation on these things – every week they have products on offer that are not normally of a type they usually sell ( mostly they sell foods ). The quality is generally found to be reasonable of these one off offers. Of course you cannot expect much support from the Supermarket after. But then my experience generally with support, whether it is for a local Dealer ( which in the meantime we have virtually none of for computers ) or Software people like Microsoft etc... is not much better
    Thanks for the reply, it all helps with my decision
    Alan
    Last edited by Doc.AElstein; 11-26-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver

There are lots of branches of that supermarket in the UK too - have seen some of the electrical equipment on offer and it is 'adequate' in my opinion, but just adequate for average household use... start stressing it and the limitations will be reached very quickly.

The one place this particular piece of kit will fall down on is the graphics card - that is always the big cost saver regardless of the manufacturer so the graphics will be limited, shared with the processor and probably will not have any external connectors (Not checked, I didn't bother - just an assumption).

The supermarket does carry some brilliant cooked meats, cheeses and other food items, though

MS-Off Ver

..The one place this particular piece of kit will fall down on is the graphics card - that is always the big cost saver regardless of the manufacturer so the graphics will be limited, shared with the processor and probably will not have any external connectors ...
    That could be relevant to my desire to have the extended Monitor facility. I have not been able to get any info from anywhere if I can do the second extended Monitor with that particular Medion computer Offer.
    ....The supermarket does carry some brilliant cooked meats, cheeses and other food items, though
    We’ve gone a bit Healthy with our eating - mostly just buy fruit and veg there, and the Wife usually gets involved once a week in the fight over the Clothes that are on offer...
    Alan

MS-Off Ver
    365 Win 11

I've got a MacBook pro i5 with 16GB ram, a 256GB solid state drive, a retina screen and I really like it, but I wouldn't recommend it for Windows. The HiDPI really seems to cause issues in Windows 10 with multiple monitors (I use 2 22inch monitors along with my laptop screen) - windows 10 really can't cope with different DPIs on different monitors, it doesn't scale images well and programs become distorted.

I suspect that this will also be the same on native Windows laptops, so I'd be wary about buying any laptop with a HiDPI screen if using windows and multiple monitors - despite how nice they look.

I'd always go for a desktop unless there's an absolute requirement for portability, they're easier to fix, upgrade and are much faster. I'd never go back to a traditional HD having used SSD either (other than for storage), the difference is night and day. Considering the price of RAM these days too, I'd always go for a minimum of 8GB - especially in a desktop (unless you're using windows 32-bit).

I don't pay much attention to brand, especially in desktops, 99% of them use very similar components and things are easily swapped. It's a bit different in laptops, but I'd avoid any cheap laptop (whatever the brand) in preference for a desktop.

In summary, if you're spending that much money, make sure you don't end up with a retina/HiDPI screen if you are intending to use multiple displays. Check that you can upgrade the disk drive and ram as well, that will keep you current longer.

@Alan I've yet to come across a laptop made in the last couple of years that doesn't support an external display, though this may be in the form of HDMI so just check that this is an input on your monitor (though if you're using a TV you'll be fine). It's more uncommon for laptops to support 2 external displays - you'd usually need 2 ports HDMI and usually VGA (though DisplayPort is a bit different - though somewhat less common). The medion supports extended display.
    Last edited by Kyle123; 11-26-2016 at 08:56 AM.

MS-Off Ver

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle123 View Post
    .... I've yet to come across a laptop made in the last couple of years that doesn't support an external display,....The medion supports extended display.
    Thanks Kyle,
    I expect any Laptop or computer I would consider would not have the HiDPI Retina thing - that looks like an Apple, mac, phone thingy...
    I am using 32 BIT Excel, and the Medion has 6 GB RAM.. not quite the 8GB mimimum mostly recommended but a bit more than 4GB which I have on most things currently ( and I store most stuff on a 1000GB external drive or USB sticks ) ... so I might still consider the Medion... .. it comes out next Thursday... I will see if I can recheck some of my codes for speed on some newer computers to see if that issue encourages me to buy. ..... as I just realised Today that the Dell 64 Bit Windows 7 machine I sometimes use does in fact do extended Monitor then I might just get a smaller Monitor for that to be like my current "Laptop Screen" and then use the ( HDMI ) Telly for the big extended Monitor
    Alan

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003,2010

Hi Doc,

Are You using Win 10 now or gone back to Win 7 ?
    Have you ever tried the extended Monitor option thing:
    I've gone back to Win 7, I have only the one monitor.

Orrin

MS-Off Ver

Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by xladept View Post
    I've gone back to Win 7, I have only the one monitor.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information