+ Reply to Thread

Mail Merge On Steriods Using Excel

Forum Contributor

Question Mail Merge On Steriods Using Excel

I would like to create a Word document which enables me to choose one of three types. The choice would come in the form of three buttons representing a particular mode of transportation. Planes, cars and motorcycles of which each is the name of a tab sheet in Excel. Within each sheet in Excel there are hundreds of characteristics with each having a unique heading name and a value associated with that name directly under the heading if it is used. For example in Row 1, column A labeled "Drive" and the cell directly below "Front". I only want to identify maybe 75 characteristics or so on any given merge. I was thinking about putting an underscore before the Field Name like "_Drive" and that would indicate I want to include that characteristic in my merge. If no underscore then no mail merge for that field name.

On the Word document I will author the field name locations to put all the field names in their respective locations and after the merge any fields not filled would be deleted from the final document. I believe this will require some VBA programming but I'm not Word VBA smart yet. Any help would be great if this problem is possible.

Tony

MS-Off Ver
    Word, Excel & Powerpoint 2003 & 2010

Re: Mail Merge On Steriods Using Excel

What you've described is nothing like a mailmerge. A mailmerge can use only one worksheet as a datasource and you cannot suppress mergefield output that way; doing so would cause an execution error for every such field and record. Furthermore, since you want to relocate the fields for each document, mailmerge is become an ever less relevant paradigm.

The way a basic mailmerge works is:
    1. You design your mailmerge main document
    2. Connect the document to the relevant data source
    3. Insert mergefields where you want data for them to appear in the mailmerge main document; you don't have to use every available field and the same filed can be used multiple times.
    Additional field coding can be used to format the mergefield outputs and to conditionally display the mergefields and/or other content. For some guidance on that, see the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...ps-tricks.html
    or:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ips-amp-Tricks
    You can also apply filtering and/or field coding to control which records get output.
    Cheers,
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information