+ Reply to Thread

Excel Performance is too slow and most of the time not responding

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel 2016

Excel Performance is too slow and most of the time not responding

Hi Friends,

I would like to ask if how can I speed up the performance of my excel. Everytime I create or simple copy a sheet with VBA codes it becomes Not Responding and hang.

I have Lenovo 15.6 Laptop, Windows 10, 8GB, 64bit but why is this happening? What do I need to adjust? I want to create more VBA tools, that's why I bought a high-end laptop.

Please help.

Thank you.

screenshotPC.PNG

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2011

Re: Excel Performance is too slow and most of the time not responding

How big are these files?
    _
    ...How to Cross-post politely...
    ..Wrap code by selecting the code and clicking the # or read this. Thank you.

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel 2016

The file is a simple vba excel file that has a size of 2.80 MB (2,945,154 bytes)

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

IMO, 3MB is a fairly large file, mine tend to be less than 0.5 MB. I obviously cannot comment on how "simple" the spreadsheet it, but it seems large enough to have some problems.

You have provided almost no information about the file, so we cannot provide any specific suggestions. A few generic suggestions:

1) Pivot tables are usually very fast -- usually much faster than built in formulas or VBA routines. If the formulas/procedures you are trying to perform in this file could be replaced by one or more pivot table operations, performance would likely improve dramatically.
    2) In many formulas, we sometimes refer to full columns. Some formulas (especially array formulas using SUMPRODUCT()) cannot ignore unused cells. Improvements can often be found by limiting references to the necessary range and not to full columns/rows.
    3) I see a lot of array formulas that duplicate effort. I have seen some significant improvements on this forum where one will take part of a large formula, put it in a helper cell (so that that part of the formula only calculates once), then refer to this helper cell.
    4) Lookups are a common source of slow performance -- especially linear lookups (lookup type argument is set to FALSE or 0). Examine any lookups to see if they can be improved.
    5) Where you are also using VBA, there can be a significant performance penalty everytime VBA reads from or writes to the spreadsheet. You want to minimize those operations as much as possible.
    6) Use of volatile functions (OFFSET(), INDIRECT(), TODAY(), etc.) Can significantly impact performance, as they can cause unnecessary recalculation.

When all is said and done, the basic process of speeding up a spreadsheet involves identifying the bottlenecks and improving them. Those are the first things I would probably look for if I had access to your file.
    Quote Originally Posted by shg
    Mathematics is the native language of the natural world. Just trying to become literate.

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel 2016

Hi, Please see attached file i am referring to test my excel VBA file. I am trying to copy the worksheets in a new workbook (manually) since I cannot remember the password I used for the codes though i have a documentation of its codes. Si even transferring it takes time and hangs in the end and never succeeded. i already reformatted my pc just to check if its about the performance but still no change. i dont think its about vba codes because my computer before can pull out large vba files (office workstation, it has only 4 gb ram 64bit).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B45...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by SBBmaster09; 01-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

Can you describe the problem in more detail? I am not sure I can recreate the problem. I filled in a handful of fields with random text, clicked on save form and it saved just fine (after several seconds). I can see the sheet flicker with each selection change, so it appears there is a selection change event running. Without the password to unlock the project, it will probably be next to impossible to debug or search for the bottlenecks. At this point, I would say that it seems to work just fine (and this computer is pretty slow), and I get only brief not responding messages.

Does it do this on all computers, or only the current computer you are working on?

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel 2016
    only in my computer, my own laptop that i bought just for my personal use. that is why i am asking what could be the possible reason.. since i bought one of the hi end laptops at that time. if you could advise something related to technical related that coud help my excel works fine.. if you could determine i can schedule a screen sharing to show the actual happening..

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

I have no idea what would cause something like this to be slow/unresponsive on only one computer like that.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Work: Office 365 / Home: Office 2010

Do you have anything in your personal macro workbook which might be running on this computer and not on others?
    Regards,
    Aardigspook

I recently started a new job so am a bit busy and may not reply quickly. Sorry - it's not personal - I will reply eventually.
    If your problem is solved, please go to 'Thread Tools' above your first post and 'Mark this Thread as Solved'.
    If you use commas as your decimal separator (1,23 instead of 1.23) then please replace commas with semi-colons in your formulae.
    You don't need to give me rep if I helped, but a thank-you is nice.

MS-Off Ver
    Redhat

Did you check the availability of references in the VBEditor ?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information