Selection.QueryTable problem

  1. #1
    JenC
    Guest

    Selection.QueryTable problem

    Hi,

    I am trying to use the following in an excel (2003) spread sheet:

    With Selection.QueryTable
    ..Connection= "ODBC;DSN=Live;UID=admin;;SERVER=LIVE;DBNAME=DATA;LUID=admin;"
    .CommandText = strSelectStatement
    .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With

    and I keep getting :

    Error Number: 1004
    Error Description: Application-defined or object-defined error

    I have had a quick look at the help files and online and have tried a number
    of alternatives but with no success.

    Any help/tips greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Sharad Naik
    Guest

    Re: Selection.QueryTable problem

    Selection.QueryTable will give that error.
    This is not proper way to refer to a QueryTable.
    You can do, for example:

    With ActiveSheet.QueryTables(1)
    'if 1 is the correct index of the required querytable.
    'else replace 1 with the correct index.

    Sharad
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Selection.QueryTable problem

    I've created a Query Editor Add-In for Excel - freely available on my
    website.
    One of the features is a right-click / Edit.

    This is the code I use for returning a QueryTable from a Selection.

    Private Function SelectedQueryTable() As QueryTable
    Dim qtb As QueryTable, rng As Range, rngResult As Range

    If Not ActiveSheet Is Nothing Then
    On Error Resume Next
    Set rng = Selection.Cells(1)
    On Error GoTo 0
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then
    For Each qtb In ActiveSheet.QueryTables
    On Error Resume Next
    Set rngResult = qtb.ResultRange
    On Error GoTo 0
    If Not rngResult Is Nothing Then
    If Not Intersect(rng, rngResult) Is Nothing Then
    Set SelectedQueryTable = qtb
    Exit For
    Next
    End Function