[SOLVED] unable to read file

  1. #1
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    [SOLVED] unable to read file

    suddenly I am not be able to open one of my often used excel file.
    when I click this file to open I get an error message
    "unable to read file"

    what could be the problem. I am regularly checking for antivirus though
    old engine of mcaffe(updated weekly) and AVG free vesions (updated almost
    daily).

    is there any solution to retrieve the file.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: unable to read file

    Is your file local or on a server? If the latter, are your permissions
    set correctly?

    The file may be corrupted. If so, XL02 and XL03 are better able to
    handle corruption than previous versions. I've also had success opening
    corrupted files with the free OpenOffice Calc:

    http://openoffice.org

  3. #3
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: unable to read file

    many thanks. my file is local- this is only computer.(home use).
    I have already assumed that the file is corrputed and am trying to recreate
    the file. what are the possible reasons for corruptions so that I can be
    careful in future.
    open office download is more than 64 MB

    kind regards.
    ================

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    MikeJohnB
    Guest

    Re: unable to read file

    I have the same error but my problem is caused by the auto recover in Excel
    2003, what version of Excel you got? have you updated to 2003? I posted a
    question as below weeks ago but no answer yet.

    I have written this question once but it has gone, vanished somewhere.
    However, I have written a large excell programme for monitoring key
    performance information and report in chart form things like, scrap rates,
    process delays, maintenance and quality reports of various kinds. The whole
    programme runs in visual basic, the user can only press buttons and input
    data, all else is automated. I took months to write this in code but the
    pleasure of getting the thing working correctly made it worth it.

    That was in Excel 2000, the company having upgraded to office 2003 now find
    the eroor "Unable to Open File" at start up and the pivot tables are
    destroyed when the programme eventually runs. I know that this is a known
    issue with Excel 2003 and that it is something to do with auto save and
    protect workbook commands.

    My question is, is there a work round for this, a downloadable patch or
    something or is there a good excel help site for this problem?????

    Your urgent assistance would be much appreciated

    Thanks, MikeB

    [email protected]post com