Right mouse click doesn't work

  1. #1
    Shopper
    Guest

    Right mouse click doesn't work

    I have the strangest problem... somehow, right clicking a cell doesn't
    bring up a menu anymore. It happens only when I'm in Excel only... it still
    works even if I bring up macro editor within Excel... it only doesn't work
    when I'm in Excel. I've tried Options and Customize... nothing there seems
    to work...
    HELP!!!

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    Hi

    is it in every excel workbook or only one ... as code can be written against
    the Worksheet_BeforeRightClick event ... but unless this code has somehow
    gotten into your default template (book.xlt) i can't see how it would affect
    all sheets and workbooks.

    maybe something worth investigating - to see if it is the culprit, open a
    workbook, press ALT & F11 to get into the VBE window, in the project
    explorer (LHS of screen - or choose view / project explorer) double click on
    where it says SHEET1 under your workbook and see if there's any code in
    there for the Worksheet_BeforeRightClick event

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good morning Shopper

    I too have had this problem on XL2000 running with WinXP Pro. Strangley enough the right click would work in Word, Powerpoint, other non Office programs and the Windows desktop. It turned out to be a corrupt file in my profile. As it was a work machine, IT managed to find a brand new machine and copy a blank profile over my corrupted dodgy one. If your is a home installation the only solution might be to reinstall?

    HTH

    DominicB

  4. #4

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    Try this:
    Open excel
    hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
    hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window

    Type this and hit enter:
    application.CommandBars("Cell").Reset
    then the same with this line:
    application.CommandBars("cell").Enabled = True

    Hit alt-f11 to get back to excel and test it out.

  5. #5
    Shopper
    Guest

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    GREAT!!! It worked. Thanks a lot!

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    CASABLANCA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    thaks it works

  7. #7
    Calgary, Alberta
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    I've tried the code you suggested (application.CommandBars...) but am still having issues. The weird thing is that in the same excel file I can right click in several of the worksheets but I can't in others. Any ideas why that might be?

  8. #8
    INDIA, TAMILNADU
    MS-Off Ver
    MS OFFICE 2010

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    Thanks for your suggestions and I solved the problem, Thank you
    FRANKO

  9. #9
    Valued Forum Contributor ImranBhatti's Avatar
    Rawalpindi,Pakistan
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson View Post
    Try this:
    Open excel
    hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
    hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window

    Type this and hit enter:
    application.CommandBars("Cell").Reset
    then the same with this line:
    application.CommandBars("cell").Enabled = True

    Hit alt-f11 to get back to excel and test it out.

    Dave Peterson
    After more than 12 years. It also helped me. thanks Dave wherever are you.
    Teach me Excel VBA

  10. #10
    AZ
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    In case the VBA fix doesn't work for you, as it didn't for me, do the following: Go to the xlb file and rename it. This file is located usually in the following location: C:\Users\Your User Account\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel

  11. #11
    Malaysia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    i spent hours trying to fix it, and i found out the culprit....

    one of the cell that i'm trying to copy and paste, contain certain text that refer to another cell info.
    for example, one of the cell's text has information such like "CP220031"---- This will cause Excel to think that you are trying to refer to cell CP220031... What you may need to do is to add spacing between CP and the numbering...

  12. #12
    Kochi
    MS-Off Ver

    Thumbs up Re: Right mouse click doesn't work

    Thank you Dave.

    It worked like a charm.
    Struggled a lot to find the correct and clear answer