what does "," mean in an excel formula

  1. #1
    Excel Question
    Guest

    what does "," mean in an excel formula

    Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

    what does "," mean in an excel formula

  2. #2
    It would help if you posted the whole formula, but "," is usually hardcoding a comma somewhere. Anything that is between a set of quotes, is usually being treated as text.

    HTH

    -Deb

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    Hi
    A comma is usually used for separating parts of a function.

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    A comma is typically used to separate arguments in a function
    call. Can you post an example of something specific?

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  5. #5
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    my vote is that it is a homework question ....

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Excel Question
    Guest

    RE: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    this is the formula: =IF(D16="","",D16)

    Thank you for your help on this.

  7. #7
    bj
    Guest

    RE: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    the if function is If(criteria, response if true, response if false)
    In your formula
    criteria D16="" this will be true if there is nothing in D16 or if an
    eqauion will give an "" response

    \the if true response is that if there is nothing in D16 there wil be
    nothing (almost the same as "" but that is a different question) in th ecell
    where the equation is

    \the if false response is that if there is something in D16, show it here.

    In this case the comma is a separator for different sections of the formula.
    there are other formulas where the "," could be a text section being looked
    for or as a result. for example if you wanted to replace a comma with a
    semicolon in some cells you could use
    =substitute(a1,",",";").

  8. #8
    ww

  9. #9
    bj
    Guest

    RE: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    We need to see the formula to be able to tell you. There mare many
    possibiliites.

  10. #10
    Excel Question
    Guest

    Re: what does "," mean in an excel formula

    =IF(D16="","",D16) is the formula I am looking at.

  11. #11
    That means if D16 is blank (or null), bring back a null, else give me whatever is in D16.