[SOLVED] Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

  1. #1
    ChrisBusch
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    how do i apply top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

  2. #2
    ChrisBusch
    Guest

    RE: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    For example:

    Row Headers are State, then Vendor.
    Column Headers are Year.
    Cell Value is Sales Amt
    Need to display the top 10 vendors by sales amt within each state.

    When I use sort and top 10 within the pivot table, i get
    top 10 vendors overall sorted within state.

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    Apply autofilter on the drill down and from the dropdown select Top 10 items

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    ChrisBusch
    Guest

    RE: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    Thanks, but nothing under the Filter menu item is enabled (including
    Autofilter or Advanced Filter) regardless of where I click on the Pivot
    Table. Any more suggestions?

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    Double-click on the Vendor field button
    Click the Advanced button
    For Top 10 AutoShow, select On
    Set the Show to Top 10

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  6. #6
    ChrisBusch
    Guest

    Re: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    Thanks, but this does not get me what I need.

    I need to display the top 10 vendors by sales amt within each state.

    When I use sort and top 10 as you describe, i get the top 10 vendors overall
    sorted within state.

    For example, if none of the vendors for Alabama are in the national top 10,
    then Alabama dissapears completely when I turn on AutoShow top 10 as
    described.

    If Alabama happens to have one or two of the national top 10, then they would
    be the only vendors displayed for Alabama.

    What I really need is all top 10 for Alabama to be displayed.

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    What I described should give you the top 10 vendors per state in the
    pivot table.

    Did you click on the Vendor field before you opened the Sort and Top 10
    dialog box?

    Is the State field to the left of the Vendor field in the row area?

    There's an example in the following article that may help you:

  8. #8
    ChrisBusch
    Guest

    Re: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    Thanks again Debra. I'm still not getting what I need.

    I was able to do a correct top 10 in another pivot table which was based on
    data in a spreadsheet. I'm starting to think it has something to do with PT
    functionality when connected to a cube vs. based on spreadsheet data.

    I could send you an example spreadsheet with a local cube file if you'd like
    to take a look.

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Top 10 within a drill-down in a pivot table?

    Sure, send the file and I'll take a look.