VBAProject

  1. #1
    Daniel
    Guest

    VBAProject

    Hello, before I terminate the formating of my file, I want to change the
    name of the vbaProject. using the following code:

    'name the vbaProject
    Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.Name = "Consolidated_Monthly_FB"

    I am not adding any module or reference to the file. I am getting Run-time
    error 50289, can't perform operation since the project is protected.
    Please, be assure that the project is not protected at this point. If this
    can help, when I open the vba editor, I have no error, it terminates as it
    should be.
    Further I also added on the template (initial unformatted file) the VBA
    Extensibility 5.3, just in case, but to no avail.
    Is there a solution?

    Daniel

  2. #2
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    RE: VBAProject

    worked fine for me

    Sub altername()
    Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject.Name = "Consolidated_Monthly_FB"
    End Sub

    Make sure that the code is in a standard module.
    All I did was open a new workbook, add a module, add the sub name and copied
    your line of code. No issues.

  3. #3
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: VBAProject

    Daniel,

    if you protect your VBA code you cannot set any VBA project properties,
    unless you first unlock the VBA project manually from the VBA editor
    (this is what I suspect you are doing).

    BTW your VBA projectname should always be *static*, since it is an
    object reference as well!! What you want you should encode in a cell or
    in the file name or in a custom document property, but not change the
    VBA project name at runtime!

    DM Unseen

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: VBAProject

    Hi DM,

    But Daniel said:

    > Please, be assure that the project is not protected at this point.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: VBAProject

    It should not just be "not protected at this point"

    To let this alway work it should *never* be protected (also just
    unlocking your project for editing/debugging does not count as removing
    the protection). This is why this cannot work (unless he doesn't want
    to protect the workbook at all, but that would be a severe limitation
    given it has code). It might also be that the code itsself gives him
    trouble though. This is the correct code (which I do not condone in any
    way I suspect he is using it

    Sub altername()
    Thisworkbook.VBProject .Name = "Consolidated_Monthly_FB"
    End Sub

    DM Unseen

  6. #6
    Stephen Bullen
    Guest

    RE: VBAProject

    Hi Daniel

    I presume you're creating and formatting a workbook from code in another
    workbook, and it is the workbook you're formatting that you want to change
    the project of.

    The reason the code you posted is not working is because the
    VBE.ActiveVBProject is just the VBProject that's selected in the VBE. It is
    not the VBProject of the Workbook selected in the Excel window, nor of the
    project running the code. If the VBE hasn't been shown in a session, the user
    hasn't had a chance to select a VBProject, so asking for the ActiveVBProject
    fails.

    To get from a workbook to it's project, you use the VBProject property of
    the workbook, so if you have an object variable pointing to your workbook,
    you can do it like the following:

    Dim wkbNewWorkbook

    Set wkbNewWorkbook = Workbooks.Add("c:\thetemplate.xlt")

    'Do your formatting

    'Name the VBProject:
    wkbNewWorkbook.VBProject.Name = "TheProjectName"

    If the workbook you want to set the project for is the active one in Excel,
    you could use:
    ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.Name = "TheProjectName"

    --
    Regards

    Stephen Bullen
    Take your Excel development to the highest levels
    with "Professional Excel Development",
    www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev