Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

  1. #1
    Bruce
    Guest

    Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    I was given a large spreadsheet (737 rows and 45 columns) to clean up before
    transferring into a database file. Certain cells text, others numbers,
    emails, etc. and some are color coded to identify a specific distribution
    process.

    Whenever I try to sort the data, the following message shows up and it won't
    allow me to sort. "The operation requires the merged cells to be identically
    sized"

    I have spent the better part of a day trying to find the merged cells, but
    have failed. Is there some way to find merged cells with the sheet without
    clicking on every cell individually? Is there some other way to accomplish
    the task for sorting? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    Certainly, Bruce. Select ALL the cells. You can use Ctrl+A or the gray
    button/box that's to the left of the A column letter and about the 1 row
    number. Then, Format-->Cells-->Alignment and untick Merged...

    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    hi,
    personal opinion here. Merged cells is about the stupidest thing MS ever
    introduced to excel. It DOES make the sheet look pretty but it screws up just
    about everything else you may want to do. sort, copy/paste you name it.
    macros hate merged cells.
    best advice i can give it is not to use merged cell.
    select all your data. go format>cells>allignment tab. uncheck merged cells.

    regards

    FSt1

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    Indeed. More info here:
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bruce
    Guest

    Re: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    Anne, I just wanted to say THANK YOU. The tip you gave me worked perfectly
    and I was able to finish the clean-up and sorting of the spreadsheet.

    Thanks for taking the time to help.

    Bruce

  6. #6
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    Too cool. Thanks a bunch for the feedback.
    *******************

  7. #7
    Milwaukee, WI
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft Office 10

    Re: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    I need a way to sort a spreadsheet in Excel 2010 and keep the title and column headings at the top of the page. Right now when I unmerge the cells, this information is mixing in with the data when I sort.

    Thank you

  8. #8
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,926

    Re: Unable to sort in Excel because of merged cells

    iceybowie13 welcome to the forum

    Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

    If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

    Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.

    (take a look at freezing the rows with the headings)
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford