Filtering by digits

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Filtering by digits

    I have a dataset of about 5000 rows, in it there are product codes of varying length, i just want to filter the 4-digit numbers. Unfortunately the numbers are in text format because some begin with zero's. Anyone got any ideas?

    Chris

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Use the formula =LEN(Cell Ref) where Cell Ref is the cell reference of the product code, this will return a value equal to the number of characters in the product code, then do a filter for the 4

  3. #3

    Re: Filtering by digits

    I'd use a column of helper cells:

    =--A2
    and drag down.

    Then filter by that column.
    Custom|is greater than 999.

    The -- converts the text numbers to number numbers.