sum formula equals zero

  1. #1
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: sum formula equals zero

    Sounds like your cells contain text (and that's probably what the green
    triangle is telling you). To force the numeric strings to be converted to
    numbers, type a 0 in any random cell, then copy that cell (ctrl+C). Select
    your range (G2:G25), then edit / paste special, select the radio buttons for
    'values' and 'add'.

    (An easy check to see that your numbers really are being treated that way is
    to select them, then click on one of your numeric style buttons (comma,
    percent). If they're really numbers, the formats will change.)

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: sum formula equals zero

    Your cells are text, not numbers. That's what the green triangle tries to
    get your attention for, as you will see if you select such a cell and click
    the exclamation mark

    Format an empty cell as Number, enter the number 1 and copy.
    Select G2:G25, Paste Special, check Multiply.

    Make sure any other cell you want to be numbers are formatted as such before
    you enter the number.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    shathun
    Guest

    sum formula equals zero

  4. #4
    bpeltzer

  5. #5
    Niek Otten

  6. #6
    Trinidad
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Cool Re: sum formula equals zero

    I had this problem and tried several things to solve it. You can ensure that all the cells being summed are in number fomat, and must be numbers ( with no ' in front of them). Also ensure there are no circular formulas in the range of cells being summed. This was actually the issue with mine. I deleted the circular formula and Voila! It worked.

  7. #7
    Earth
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: sum formula equals zero

    Quote Originally Posted by zoie01 View Post
    I had this problem and tried several things to solve it. You can ensure that all the cells being summed are in number fomat, and must be numbers ( with no ' in front of them). Also ensure there are no circular formulas in the range of cells being summed. This was actually the issue with mine. I deleted the circular formula and Voila! It worked.
    This was my problem as well! Thank you so much for this answer. Saved me a serious amount of time.