unconcatenate?

  1. #1
    Patty via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    unconcatenate?

    I have over a thousand cells with last name,first name. I want two different
    cells with last name in one and first name in the other (minus the comma).
    Any ideas? (no VB please!)

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Patty via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: unconcatenate?

    Actually, I don't have a comma. It's just LastName FirstName MiddleInitial
    all separated by spaces

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: unconcatenate?

    Hi, Patty. See Data-->Text to Columns about 1/3rd down the page here:
    http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David Hepner
    Guest

    RE: unconcatenate?

    Try this:

    Assuming the name is in cell A1:

    B1 =LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)-1)
    C1 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1,1)-1)

  5. #5
    David Hepner
    Guest

    RE: unconcatenate?

    This relpy is for Lastname, Firstname.

  6. #6
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: unconcatenate?

    Dump it into Word. Convert table to text. Convert text to table and use a
    space as the separator then dump to excel

  7. #7

    Re: unconcatenate?

    How about just selecting the column
    data|text to columns
    delimited
    by space

    (leave enough room to the right to accept all your fields)

  8. #8
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: unconcatenate?

    Text-to-columns will fill the bill as long as ALL cells include three parts.
    If, in some, the middle initial is missing, for those rows, you'll end up with
    the last name in the column intended for the middle initial.

    If this is a problem, you can perhaps solve it quickly by sorting on the 3rd
    column (should be the last name). Those with no last name will go to the
    bottom of the list. For those rows, you can then insert cells between the
    first and last names, to provide for the blank middle initial

  9. #9
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: unconcatenate?

    Oops... I missed the part of your original message where you describe the data
    order. My first reply was based on the erroneous assumption that it was First
    MI Last (which is a more common situation when all data is in one cell with no
    comma delimiter).

    Since the order is Last First MI, a row without a middle initial is not a
    problem.