My Excel 2000 won't open

  1. #1
    Rickettsjt
    Guest

    My Excel 2000 won't open

    I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
    glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
    try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
    still get the same thing.

    TJ

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

    and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then see
    if Excel will start.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rickettsjt
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    It work! When I went to the last excel file I was working on and try to open
    it said this file was in the wrong format. I had saved it to a disk and
    reloaded it and now it opens too. Is there anything I should know about
    changing the name to excel.abc? Thanks for your good advise on this.

    TJ

  4. #4
    Rickettsjt
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    Thanks again , Jim It worked. Do I have to do anything else with changing
    that file name .abc

    TJ

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    If I am seeing this correctly you changed the file extension. A file .extension
    of .xls is used by the system to indicate that Excel should open the file.
    The file types are set in My Computer (explorer), Tools, Folder options, file types.

    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    David

    Ricjettsjt changed the Excel.xlb file to Excel.abc to build a new one because
    it appears the old one was corrupt.

    Since Excel built a new *.xlb file and Rickettsjt is happy, he(she) can just
    delete the Excel.abc file.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    I misread, thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.

  8. #8
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: My Excel 2000 won't open

    Changing Excel.xlb to Excel.abc was just to keep Excel from loading it when
    it started up, and to give you the ability to rename it back if the XLB was
    not the problem. Every time you make a change to your toolbars or menubars
    Excel saves those 'customizations' (intentional or not) in your XLB file.
    For reasons that are beyond me the XLB file sometimes (too often IMO)
    becomes corrupted and Excel hangs starting up. The only answer I know of is
    to delete or rename the XLB. Of course if you had any intentional
    customizations they would have to be re-created.

    Since I've customized my toolbars quite a bit I always make a backup copy of
    my (good) XLB file just in case it goes bad. That way I don't have to start
    over from scratch.

    --
    Jim
    "Rickettsjt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Thanks again , Jim It worked. Do I have to do anything else with changing
    | that file name .abc
    |
    | TJ
    |
    | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    |
    | > Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:
    | >
    | > C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
    | >
    | > and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then
    see
    | > if Excel will start.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jim
    | > "Rickettsjt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > |I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the
    hour
    | > | glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when
    you
    | > | try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office
    but
    | > | still get the same thing.
    | > |