File Versioning in Excel???

  1. #1
    Aimster
    Guest

    File Versioning in Excel???

    Is there a way to include a version number in an Excel file? I have a
    template that I update as needed, and need to ensure that users are using the
    correct version. I would like to include a version number for the template
    that they can check before using.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: File Versioning in Excel???

    With VBA

    Function ExcelVersion()
    ExcelVersion = Application.Version
    End Function

    And use with =ExcelVersion() in some worksheet cell.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aimster
    Guest

    Re: File Versioning in Excel???

    I was thinking more in lines of the file version, not the application version.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: File Versioning in Excel???

    Then you will have to maintain such a thing, as there is no built-in file
    version.

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: File Versioning in Excel???

    close the file. Right click on it in Windows Explorer and select properties.
    Go to the Custom tab. Type in the word Version, then leave the next box as
    text and go to the value box and type in 1.1.1.1 or some such. Then click
    Add and down at the bottom Apply.

    You can also edit this in File=>Properties in Excel.

    If you make the document read only, it can't be changed (although the user
    can just uncheck readonly and make the changes).

    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    Aimster
    Guest