Unable to Sum() Number Values

  1. #1
    Always Learning
    Guest

    Unable to Sum() Number Values

    Hi Everyone,

    Can you help me please.
    I have a column of numbers. I have formated the cells as number but when I
    try to sum() the column it does not calculate, it just leaves the words
    Sum() in the cell. Also any cells with zero in them display as 0 and not
    0.00 it's as if the contents of the cells are still text but I have
    formatted to number.

    Does anyone know what's going on and how I get over this.

    Thanks for your help it's appreciated.

    Best Regards,

    Steve Wilson.

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Unable to Sum() Number Values

    Steve

    'Numbers' often get stuck as text in Excel. Enter a 1 in a blank cell and
    copy it. Highlight the text numbers and then Edit>Paste
    special...>Values+Multiply. This will 'shift' them into being seen by Excel
    as real numbers

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Unable to Sum() Number Values

    To prove Nick's suggestion, try this. Enter

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10))

    and see if you get the correct results (adjust the range to suit)

    RP

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Unable to Sum() Number Values

    Hi

    Do you see "Sum(...)" or "=Sum(...)" in cell?

    When 1st is the case, then you left '=' out from formula. Otherwise check
    format of cell with formula - it must'nt be text.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  5. #5
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Unable to Sum() Number Values

    Also check Tools|Options|View and make sure that Formulas is not checked.

    Jerry

  6. #6
    Always Learning
    Guest