transfer data from one column into another column

  1. #1
    Wessel
    Guest

    transfer data from one column into another column

    How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column? Eg
    from Column A to column B?

  2. #2
    Ray A
    Guest

    RE: transfer data from one column into another column

    Several ways come to mind.
    1)copy and paste
    2)insert a new column A
    3) in B1 enter =A1 and copy down
    I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: transfer data from one column into another column

    "Transfer" indicates to me that you want to move the data.

    Cut and paste the entire column A to Column B

    Copy and paste if you want data in A to remain.

    Alternative to copy and paste would be to enter =A1 in B1 then
    double-click on the fill handle to copy down.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: transfer data from one column into another column

    One way,
    Click on the column header to select the whole column, next slide your
    cursor just below the header until it changes back to the arrow, next hold
    down the mouse button and drag the column where you want it.

    HTH
    JG

  5. #5
    Wessel
    Guest

    RE: transfer data from one column into another column

    Thanks for your replys guys, I guess I should make myself more clear. What I
    am trying to do is as follows: I have been letting each column represent a
    day, and each cell a task I have been doing. So now I have about 10 columns
    filled in. But to make the sheet more presentable, I want to insert blank
    columns for Saturday and Sunday. (I don't work then!) So, how do I go back
    and insert blank columns? Because, if I use the cut/copy&paste option, surely
    I would just be dumping the data from one column onto another one? Unless, I
    suppose, I start from the last column, which has nothing to the right of it,
    cut and paste that a few places to the right, and then, working my way from
    right to left, move each column a few spots to the right, until I have some
    empty columns in the middle representing Sat + Sun. But is there a more
    efficient way? My eventual goal is to be able to make the computer do
    whatever I want simply by snapping my fingers at it, so getting advice from
    you guys is a first step in that direction.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: transfer data from one column into another column

    Insert>Columns wherever you wish.

    i.e. select column C & D and Insert>Columns to get two blank columns.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP