ChangeLink Command Not Working

  1. #1
    Dina
    Guest

    ChangeLink Command Not Working

    I have a situation where I am copying files from a "common files" folder into
    individual folders. Then I have to change the links to refer to the newly
    copied files within each folder. I keep getting "Runtime error '1004'
    Method 'ChangeLink' of object '_Workbook' failed"

    It doesn't seem to matter whether I use absolute addresses or variables.
    I've tried the following:

    ActiveWorkbook.ChangeLink Name:= _
    "C:\BudDataRun\Common Files\INPUTSHEETABA-GF.xls", NewName:= _
    "C:\BudDataRun\Gen Fund Budget\N-E0011\INPUTSHEETABA-GF.xls", Type:= _
    xlExcelLinks
    (The macro recorder used the Name:= and NewName:= labels)

    'ActiveWorkbook.ChangeLink "C:\BudDataRun\Common
    Files\INPUTSHEETABA-GF.xls", _
    '"INPUTSHEETABA-GF.xls", xlExcelLinks

    'ActiveWorkbook.ChangeLink RootDirectoryName & CommonFolder &
    ABAFile, _
    'RootDirectoryName & FilePathName & FilePathName2 & ABAFile,
    xlExcelLinks

    All variations get the same error message.
    I'm running on Windows XP if that makes any difference.

  2. #2

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    Are any of your worksheets protected?

  3. #3
    Dina
    Guest

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    No. They are all unprotected and I've Changed Directories (ChDir) to the
    proper directory as part of the loop.

  4. #4

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    Does it work if you do it manually (Edit|links)?

    If it works ok, how about recording a macro when you do it there. Maybe it'll
    help you debug the problem.

  5. #5
    Dina
    Guest

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    I've already tried that. The first sample is the one that the macro
    recorded. It worked fine when I did it manually, but when I tried to run it
    from the program by calling the macro it crashed.

  6. #6

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    Is the workbook protected?

    I'm out of guesses.

  7. #7
    Dina
    Guest

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    Thanks for trying.

    I've been working on this for 2 days. I had this (or one like it) working
    last year on my old computer. I was running Windows 2000. This year I have
    Windows XP. The only thing I can think of is that there is a conflict. The
    OS sometimes does wonky things to VBA commands.

    What forum would I go to for expert help with this kind of conflict?

  8. #8

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    I'd stay here and see if anybody else could guess.

  9. #9
    whylite
    Guest

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    Did you ever figure this out. I am having the same problem?
    --
    Thanks!
    Shane W

  10. #10
    Philadelphia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    I am having the same problem...using Excel 2007...sheet not protected

    Here is my Macro:

    Last edited by Cutter; 08-23-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added code tags

  11. #11
    SF
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    hey, i had the same problem

    the reason it doesn't work is because when you recorded the macro, it already changed the name.

    therefore, you can't change a link that's already changed (from filename1 to filename2) if filename1 no longer exists...
    you can change filename2 to filename3 in your macro and it'll work fine (assuming your sheet isn't protected)

    hope this helps

  12. #12
    Forum Moderator jeffreybrown's Avatar
    Cibolo, TX
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365
    Posts
    10,316

    Re: ChangeLink Command Not Working

    You do realize this thread was initiated over six years ago and JudithL posts closing in on a year ago.
    HTH
    Regards, Jeff