formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

  1. #1
    tv
    Guest

    formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
    decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.

    Can someone help me ?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Is this any good?

    =TEXT(INT(D18)," 0 ""feet """)&INT(MOD(D18,1)*12)&"
    "&TEXT(MOD(D18*12,1),"0/16")&" inches"

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    "tv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I would like to write a formula in excel, without using macros, to convert
    > decimal feet to feet-inch-sixteenths.
    >
    > Can someone help me ?

    Are you able to write the formula on paper first?

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Decimal value in A1, formula in B1:

    =INT(A1) & " ft " & TEXT(MOD(A1,1)*12, "# ??/16") & "in"

    A1=2.345 (ft)

    B1=2 ft 4 2/16 in

    HTH

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Whilst I concede that yours is much better than mine, it can still be
    improved upon <vbg>

    =INT(A1) & " ft " & TEXT(MOD(A1,1)*12, "# ??/16 ""in""")

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Bob,
    I'm flattered!

  7. #7
    tv
    Guest

    RE: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Thamk you for this formula
    however, i would like my result to read in the following format (ex: 4-6-8)

    can you help me tune the formula

    thanks

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:27:26 -0800, tv <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thamk you for this formula
    >however, i would like my result to read in the following format (ex: 4-6-8)
    >
    >can you help me tune the formula
    >
    >thanks

    Here's one way:

    =INT(A1)&"-"&INT(MOD(A1,1)*12)&"-"&ROUND(MOD(MOD(A1,1)*12,1)*16,0)

    --ron

  9. #9
    Fort Lauderdale
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2018

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    =INT(MROUND(A1,1/16)/12) & "' " & TEXT(MOD(MROUND(A1,1/16),12),"#-#/##") & """"

    The formula above display inches with a decimal to feet and inches with a fraction to the nearest 16th; a great test for many formula's is to enter 23.999; above it will properly display 2' 0"

    The formula will display zero for feet and/or inches. e.g. 0' 0", or 2' 0", or 0' 1/16"

    other display examples would be like this: 1' 2-3/16"

    The MROUND function requires the Analysis Tool Pack addin to be installed; it's easy to research how if it's not installed.
    Last edited by theclockmaker; 10-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.

  10. #10
    davenport ia
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Can you tell me how to do it and have it look like this (26") 2'-2" or 26" (2'-2")

  11. #11
    davenport ia
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch

    Can you tell me how to do it and have it look like this (26") 2'-2" or 26" (2'-2")

    in that same cell I am summing up first for example- =SUM(B14*K14) then how do you write it like above?
    Thx

  12. #12
    Chicago
    MS-Off Ver
    MS365 - 2211

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    So here is a curve ball to this thread.

    What about having it function properly with negative values?

    I have values for charting out points on graph paper for easy explanation. Simply there is -x and -y values. The formula seems to function correctly for the non negative values but seems to work incorrectly when there is a negative value.

    Quick example being I have a line going left to right one point is at -9.833, next is at 0, next is at 9.833. The first value returns as -10ft 2 in then 0 ft 0 in, then 9 ft 10 in.

    Any insight?

    Thanks,
    Matt

  13. #13
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,917

    Re: formula to convert decimal feet to feet inch sixteenths

    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    So here is a curve ball to this thread.

    What about having it function properly with negative values?

    I have values for charting out points on graph paper for easy explanation. Simply there is -x and -y values. The formula seems to function correctly for the non negative values but seems to work incorrectly when there is a negative value.

    Quick example being I have a line going left to right one point is at -9.833, next is at 0, next is at 9.833. The first value returns as -10ft 2 in then 0 ft 0 in, then 9 ft 10 in.

    Any insight?

    Thanks,
    Matt
    Matt, firstly, this thread is over 5 years old, I doubt many are still following it.

    Secondly, Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford