how do I change column width in the middle of an Excel sheet?

  1. #1
    Malcolm
    Guest

    how do I change column width in the middle of an Excel sheet?

    Is it possible to change the widths of columns from a certain row down in an
    Excel worksheet?

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: how do I change column width in the middle of an Excel sheet?

    You can't. Only an entire column can be resized.

    However, you can merge cells to make a portion of a column WIDER (not a good
    idea as it messes with sorting, range selection, etc).
    Format>Cells>Alignment>Merge cells

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: how do I change column width in the middle of an Excel sheet?

    Hi

    You can't. The column is the same width all the way to the bottom. You can
    merge cells (not recommended) and you can 'Center across selection' for
    centering headings etc.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: how do I change column width in the middle of an Excel sheet?

    As said above, this isn't, "strictly speaking", possible, although as
    with may things, it *is* with a little jiggery-pokery. Whether it is
    worth your while depends on how badly you want to do this.

    Should you REALLY want to do this, here's what to do:

    Create and save two files, let's say, "Book1" and "Book2". Save them
    in the same directory (not actually necessary, but suggested).

    Let's say Book1 contains the column sizings you want from Rows 1 to Row
    x. Size the column sizes according to what you want up to Row x.

    Now, go to cell Ax+1 and perform the following menu clicks:
    'Insert'-'Object'-'Create From File'-'Browse'-Select 'Book2'-'Insert'-
    then, ensuring NEITHER the 'Link to file' NOR the 'Display as Icon'
    checkboxes are ticked, click OK.

    This will insert Sheet1 of Book2 as a 'subform', if you like, within
    Sheet1(/or your active sheet) in Book1. It will be enclosed within a
    black frame - like a single black gridline around it. You will also
    see the light-grey gridlines within it. To change the column widths
    within this (and enter data and use it), double-click within the black
    frame, and this other sheet will appear in its own window. You may then
    size the columns for this 'subform'. Again, its range will start at A1
    again so you will appear to be selecting column widths for the entire
    sheet - which you are for that subform. However, after finishing, you
    may close it, and your 'Book2' columns will appear within that frame
    that appeared in Book1 - differing column widths/row heights and all!

    As with the suggestions above, these sorts of things are best avoided
    if at all possible - but there can be uses for them in certain
    scenarios.

    MB

    --
    BizMark