Spell check: advise and advice are used in the wrong context.

  1. #1
    Fussy Lady
    Guest

    Spell check: advise and advice are used in the wrong context.

    When you type 'Please advise' in an email, spell check always want s to
    change 'advise' to 'advice'. This is incorrect. Advise is to offer
    assistance, Advice is to make suggestions. It drives me crazy that everyone
    changes it to meet Microsofts stipulation without thinking about the meaning
    of the word.
    Could we please have this changed?

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Spell check: advise and advice are used in the wrong context.

    While you are being fussy, note that...
    advise is a verb ( an action )
    advice is a noun ( a thing )
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Calgary, AB
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: Spell check: advise and advice are used in the wrong context.

    Jim Cone,

    Although you are correct, I'm not sure what your point is. Fussy Lady is absolutely correct that ALL Microsoft programs incorrectly tell us that "advise" is wrong. It ALWAYS tries to change it to "advice" no matter what the context is. It still does this and it drives me crazy. I have no idea why this is still happening after all these years but I would love to see it fixed.