Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

How do i not plot values as zero?

  1. #1
    uscben
    Guest

    How do i not plot values as zero?

    I am trying to create a running chart whereby information is added daily.
    The information, as added, is run though a formula and is added to the chart.
    I want only the new information to plot on the chart, not the cells where
    information has not been added. The problem I am having is that the cells
    where the information has not been added are plotting as "zero". I have the
    option checked where it will "not plot empty cells", but since the cells
    where data has not been entered contains a formula, it is not recognizing
    this as an empty cell and plots it as zero. Is there a function that I can
    use to tell the chart not to plot the formula as "zero"?

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: How do i not plot values as zero?

    USCBen:

    When Excel sees a cell with a formula, it does not consider it empty. That's
    why your don't plot empty cells configuration isn't doing what you want.

    Your If formula will need to set the cell to NA() rather than "". Excel
    recognizes NA() and places a #N/A in the cell. Your drop to zero problem
    should be gone.

    If you need any additional info see my tutorial
    http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_missing_data.htm

    ...Kelly

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    uscben
    Guest

    Re: How do i not plot values as zero?

    This works well except for the fact that I do indeed have an average function
    in the formula. So, as your tutorial states, the NA() disrupts the formula.
    Is there a workaround for this (aside from averaging mauually i.e.
    (A1+A2+A3....An) / n)?

  4. #4
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: How do i not plot values as zero?

    There are two approaches that I have seen:

    1. Two column method - 1 column for raw data, 1 column with charting
    formula to eliminate blank problem
    2. One column method - use Sumproduct or Array formula with criteria to
    get average for valid numbers only.

    ...Kelly

    this will test to see if a valid average can be

  5. #5
    Manchester England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: How do i not plot values as zero?

    Thank you for your useful tutorial. I have been trying various workround for ages before discovering your advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly O'Day View Post

  6. #6
    Jeddah, KSA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: How do i not plot values as zero?

    I am using Excel 2007.

    I want to Plot the Bar graph with non-zero value. I checked your tutorial, and used NA(), but still the Br graph show non zero value bar.

    Could you please guide, how to solve this issue ?

  7. #7
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: How do i not plot values as zero?

    Sort the table filter out the zero's and Blanks and graph plot adjusts automatically.

Closed Thread