Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

  1. #1
    Stuart
    Guest

    Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    Example: Suppose I have a shortcut that points to C:\Program Files\Test
    Folder\abc.xls

    When I try to open this via double clicking the shortcut, it fails. I get
    an error message:

    Cannot open "C:\Program" followed by
    Cannot open "Files\Test" followed by
    Cannot open "Folder\abc.xls"

    I can open this file directly by navigating to it using the Open menu. I
    cannot open the file by navigating to it in Windows explorer and double
    clicking it, same error as above. Any suggestions?

    Thanks, Stuart

  2. #2
    rajkohli
    Guest

    RE: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    The path seems to be wrong. It should be something like:

    "c:\program files\test\folder\abc.txt"

    not

    "c:\program" "files\test" "folder\abc.xls"

    Try changing the path of your shortcut.

    Let us know, if the information was useful.

  3. #3

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
    the file in windows explorer:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    Stuart

    Make sure you have double-quotes around the path.

    "C:\Program Files\Test Folder\abc.xls"

    If you do the regserver steps outlined by Dave P. this should get taken care
    of.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Stuart
    Guest

    RE: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    The path is correct in the shortcut.

  6. #6

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    What happened when you reregistered excel?

  7. #7
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    Gord, it has double quotes. And the same thing happens when I double click
    the file name in Windows Explorer. The only way I can open a file right now
    is to open excel, click on "File", "Open", and browse to the desired file.
    Any other method produces the error.

    Stuart

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    Stuart

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again.

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and
    On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

    Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
    Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.

    If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.

    In Command line the path should be similar to this....

    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp>/e if
    you want Book1 to open.

    You must have the double quotes.

    Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

    Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

    Gord

  9. #9
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    The unregister/reregister worked. All is now well.

    Any idea how this might have occurred? It didn't happen to me, it happened
    to an associate, who I believe has had this happen to her before.

    Stuart

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can't open spreadsheet via shortcut

    Can't recall if anyone has ever figured out why Excel will occasionally lose its
    file association and "unregister" itself.

    Usually occurs after a re-build of the Operating System after some disaster or
    voluntary changes.

    Around here, we just have the fixes due to experience and prior knowledge of
    similar problems.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP