How to remove spaces in mail merge

  1. #1

    How to remove spaces in mail merge

    Here's the deal, we merge excel columns into address labels. Everything works great. Problem is when we have an address where there's no first or last name, just a company name. WE set up the labels like this:

    <<First>> <<Last>>
    <<Company>>
    <<Address>> etc

    When there's no first or last name, the space that we manually insert in word remains there, so that when the company name gets moved up to the top line it ends up looking like this:

    Company X
    123 Main Street
    Anytown, CA

    The company name is indented by that one space. Is there any way to get Word (or Excel) to ignore that space if there's no first name and last name?

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: How to remove spaces in mail merge

    The solution is in Word, in the mail merge document. Go to Insert Word Field
    in the mail merge toolbar. In the dropdown list choose If ... then ... else
    ..... Choose your first name field under Field Name. Under Comparison, choose
    "is blank". Then enter nothing and a space in the other two areas.

  3. #3
    thanks so much, that worked perfectly!