How to match values in one column to values in another?

  1. #1

    Unhappy How to match values in one column to values in another?

    I have the following question:

    I have about 2000 records in Column 1 (a code consisting of letters and numbers). In Column 2 I have about 1500 records. All of the records in Column 2 are contained in Column 1. However, since about 500 are missing I cannot sort the equal values next to one another -

    How to make it so that Excel matches the values in Column 2 next to the same values in Column 1?

    I have attached a word file in order to show a sample of what I need.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How to match values in one column to values in another?

    Assuming Series 1 starts in A2 down, Series 2 starts in B2 down

    Put in C2:
    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,B:B,0)),A2,"")
    Copy C2 down to the last row of data in col A

    Col C will return the required results
    If desired, just cut out col C and paste special as values to overwrite col B
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Max

    "trib" wrote:
    > Thanks a lot!

    You're welcome !
    Thanks for feeding back ..

  5. #5
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: How to match values in one column to values in another?

    Hi,

    I have a very similar problem, but a bit more complicated.

    I have column A with a set for first names and last names together, and column B with set of first, middle and last names. Can some one please help me in comparing these two?

    What I am basically looking to do here is match the first and last words of each cell in column A with first and last words of cells in column B.

    Please help me in this, I have been going mad off late trying to do this.
    Last edited by kumar585; 03-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor johnjohns's Avatar
    Dubai, UAE
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 and 2007

    Re: How to match values in one column to values in another?

    Please read the forum rules and start your own thread.
    regards

    johnjohns

    When you are not sure where to go, every road takes you there!

  7. #7
    Manchester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How to match values in one column to values in another?

    WOW! Thanks Max. That was so easy and gave me exactly the result I needed!

  8. #8
    Germany
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How to match values in one column to values in another?

    Have a simular but more difficult problem. Trying to match a designated value from column "X" with the names in column 1.