+ Reply to Thread

Lookup to return an array

Lookup to return an array

Hi there forumers, a slightly curly lookup question.

I want the used to be able to enter a value (in this case an assembly number). Once they hit enter i want to check another sheet for the number and return an array (the part numbers contained in the assembly and the quantity used in the assembly).

An Example:

the user types: AS30

In another sheet is a list of the parts contained in AS30. Part numbers start with an S:
    s1 s2 s3 s4 PART NUMBERS
    1 3 2 1 QUANTITY

Once the AS number has been located, I want the array transferred to another sheet so that calculations can be done. Am I asking too much? Is it time i learnt how to use VB properly?

Thanks alot for any advice.

Evan

Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by evanbb
    Hi there forumers, a slightly curly lookup question.

I want the used to be able to enter a value (in this case an assembly number). Once they hit enter i want to check another sheet for the number and return an array (the part numbers contained in the assembly and the quantity used in the assembly).

An Example:

the user types: AS30

In another sheet is a list of the parts contained in AS30. Part numbers start with an S:
    s1 s2 s3 s4 PART NUMBERS
    1 3 2 1 QUANTITY

Once the AS number has been located, I want the array transferred to another sheet so that calculations can be done. Am I asking too much? Is it time i learnt how to use VB properly?

Thanks alot for any advice.

Evan
    In the second sheet, does the 'AS30' appear on many rows each with a separate ('S') Part number? Or is it held as an item header followed by rows that have nothing in the column (until the next assembly)

or are the part numbers across the row with the quantity underneath?

If not, how are the parts held?

---
    Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Further information

Currently the second sheet is a reference sheet defining the assembly contents. So each AS number will only occur once, as a header for a row. Then the part numbers and their quantity stream out left along the row.

Eg
    AS# Part qty part qty part qty
    AS30 S10 2 S11 1 S12 1

This is negotiable though, if there's a more efficient format it can easily be changed.

Thanks again

Evan

Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by evanbb
    Currently the second sheet is a reference sheet defining the assembly contents. So each AS number will only occur once, as a header for a row. Then the part numbers and their quantity stream out left along the row.

Eg
    AS# Part qty part qty part qty
    AS30 S10 2 S11 1 S12 1

This is negotiable though, if there's a more efficient format it can easily be changed.

Thanks again

Evan
    My VB code is so uncouth, but you should get an idea from the attached.

Select the first entry from the bemenu and type AS30 into the first box

From there you can, of course, check/amend the parts required, and press the (uncoded) button to save to the next blank line on a sheet.

Was this the idea you are looking for? - if so, yes, it's worth the effort for VB.

note, on Sheet2 you can add parts up to column P/Q

Added - new .zip

The Button now works, and allows a simple description to be added.
    Formula can be auto-added (via the button) to Sheet1 as required.

hth
    ---
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 10-31-2006 at 03:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information