+ Reply to Thread

Vlookup query (aren't they always?)

Vlookup query (aren't they always?)

Hello folks,

I having a major headache tryign to get my head around this - no doubt there's a relatively simple solution and I'd be greatfeul if someone could point me in the right direction.

I am trying to retreive information from a table for a specific reference. However, there are more than one entries on that table that I want to retrieve, and my problem is I do not knwo how to set up a vlookup function to retrieve the first record found, the second and so on.

e.g.

Name Item bought cost

Flowers dustpan £1.99
    Ali bench £7.99
    Ali brush £2.99
    Quartey pencils £1.89

What I am trying to do is create a lookup function that not only returns the fact that Ali bought a bench, but also that he bought a brush. I can only get vlookup to work so that it gives me the results of the first match it finds (i.e. the £7.99 bench). Is it possible to use the vlookup function to find the next match (i.e. the £2.99 brush)? Should I be combining the lookup function with a match function or countif function?

Thanks

Forum Expert
    Check this format, and let me know if it works for you. (Adjust ranges to suit)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Many thanks for the swiftness of your response.

For some reason I cannot open the file. (Work computer doesn't recognise what program to open it with) Any chance you could paste the function in here?

Thanks.

Forum Expert
    I could, but it is a bit more complex than just a formula. The formula is contingent on the setup used. This is why it is important to see the file itself.

It is in .zip format. Since you can't unzip, I will post the formula as well as a .jpg of the setup used.

In cell F3 (as per my setup), enter this formula:

=IF(COUNTIF($A:$A,$G$1)<ROW()-ROW(F$2),"",INDEX(B$2:B$25,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$25=$G$1,ROW($A$2:$A$25)-ROW($A$1)),ROW()-ROW(F$2))))

NOTE: It is an array formula, it must be enterred with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just enter.

Next, fill it across to G3, then fill it down.

Let me know if that works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It does work - thanks very much....

Just need to try and decipher what it is saying so I can have a play with it and apply it to a few more tables. Will try and post here again.

Cheers

Banned User!
    Quote Originally Posted by ketchel
    It does work - thanks very much....

Just need to try and decipher what it is saying so I can have a play with it and apply it to a few more tables. Will try and post here again.

Cheers
    The easiest way is using the AutoFilter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information