+ Reply to Thread

How to generate a unique random 8 character string for each row in a column?

How to generate a unique random 8 character string for each row in a column?

Hi,

I was wondering how I could randomly generate a string of 8 characters
    (letters and numbers) down a column and have each row unique.

What I'm trying to do is assign a random 8 character password to a few hundred user names in a new column beside the user name.

Thanks!

Dino

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    The chances of 2 people having the same password is remote as there are potentially up to 4,304,672,100,000,000 different combinations

perhaps I would put the following formula in a cell and copy it down for all the number of rows I need a password for (plus a few extra in case there is a duplicate)

=CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))

then copy this somewhere else as values as it changes evry time u recalculate

then filter this list using the advance filter and choosing unique values, they can then be copied to the side of the staff you wish to have a password for.

Does that help

Regards

Dav

Nb I have included upper and lower case and punctuation characters as you did not specify what are valid characters
    Last edited by Dav; 08-22-2007 at 03:54 AM.

Hi Dav,

Thanks thats perfect =)

Have a great night.

Hi Dav,

This is exactly what I was looking for, well almost!

I just want letters & numbers, alphanumeric, no symbols (* ; ' etc.)

I know the *90+33 has something to do with it but I'm not sure what to do, can you help.

Many Thanks

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    The chances of 2 people having the same password is remote as there are potentially up to 4,304,672,100,000,000 different combinations

perhaps I would put the following formula in a cell and copy it down for all the number of rows I need a password for (plus a few extra in case there is a duplicate)

=CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))&CHAR(TRUNC(RAND()*90+33))

then copy this somewhere else as values as it changes evry time u recalculate

then filter this list using the advance filter and choosing unique values, they can then be copied to the side of the staff you wish to have a password for.

Does that help

Regards

Dav

Nb I have included upper and lower case and punctuation characters as you did not specify what are valid characters

Actually I'd like to know how to do that as well. Same thing but without Symbols. Does anyone know how to do this as well by chance?

Thanks!

Dino

Forum Contributor
    List your numbers and letters in column A and then input this formula in cell B2 and copy down.

=INDEX($A$1:$A$352,RANDBETWEEN(1,35))

I Left a sample workbook below.

Hope it helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks great idea =)

I looked at your workbook and tried it myself and get this showing in all the fields: #NAME?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dno
    Thanks great idea =)

I looked at your workbook and tried it myself and get this showing in all the fields: #NAME?
    To use the RANDBETWEEN function you will need to add the Analysis Tool Pak

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ex...277241033.aspx
    oldchippy
    -------------

Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

If you are happy with the help you have received, please click the <--- STAR icon on the left - Thanks.

Click here >>> Top Excel links for beginners to Experts

Forum Rules >>>Please don't forget to read these

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information