+ Reply to Thread

Grading formula

Grading formula

Hello I was hoping somebody would help me out with a problem. I just started a class in Excel and got stumped on some homework. I am working on a grade book problem. The students are required to turn in 13 homework assignments. Some have completed more and some less. There is a 2 point bonus for each assignment over 13 and a 2 point penalty for each assignment not completed. The sheet has the required number of assignments 13 in box E-19, and the bonus/penalty box is H-4,H-13
    Thanks DennisC

Forum Contributor

Lightbulb

You should attach a sample Excel file in zip format with your required results.

Are you jsut trying to find out how many points each student has earned? something like
    =(E19*2) + ((H4 - H13)*2)
    might do the job, if that is what you are looking for

OK I am new to this. What zip program should I get? Is it not possible just to save the Excel file and post it? Thanks Dennis

I'm trying to show bonus or penalty points in box H4,-H13. The required homework assignment number is 13. If you complete more assignments than 13 you recieve a 2 point bonus for each one above 13. If you do less than 13 you get a 2 point penalty for each one you didn't complete. Column G4, -G13 shows assingmnets completed, like 10,11,14,16,etc. A number for the amount of homework each kid completed. So I need to write a formula that will show in H4,H13 answers like -6,-4,1,3,etc. Also the negative numbers need to be in red and the positive numbers just in normal black. Thanks DennisC

You don't have to get any program to zip files. If you are on a PC, just right click the icon, Send To -> Compressed (zip) Folder and it will be zipped. On a Mac, hit Control + Click and that will act the same as a right click. Then you can attach the zipped file to your post. I think it would do some good for us to see the file, especially if you include notes on the workbook itself as to what you want where.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will show up. Dennis

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    The determination of bonus/penalty is basically a subtraction problem. Subtract the required number of HW's from the actual. If negative, multiply by 2, if zero enter zero and, if positive enter the positive value:
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    A question, though, it seems that homeworks do not get points except if below or above the required number so that someone who turns in 13 gets no credit (according to the info on the worksheet)??
    Ben Van Johnson

Thanks ProtonLeah! That worked perfectly. Now I'm just scratching my head trying to understand how all this works! Thanks Dennisc

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    The formula:
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    is an if..then..else statement with a secondary if..then..else statement nested as the ""else condition" of the first statement. It says:

If the difference between the required assignments and submitted assignments is zero, then enter zero for bonus/penalty else if the number submitted is less than assigned, then multiply the difference by two (the penalty value in Cell E19), else the bonus equals number of extra assignments submitted.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information