+ Reply to Thread

More than 7 IF's Nested?

More than 7 IF's Nested?

Hi All,

I have a formula with 7 IFs Nested within an IF formula. I also have some AND functions nested within it. I need to add more IFs, is this possible? Here is a copy of the current working formula:

=IF(AND(GST="",K28<>""),"Please enter",IF(AND(GST<>"",K28<>"",F28=""),"<----- Enter ",IF(AND(GST<>"",K28<>"",F28<>"",C28=""),"<----- Enter ",IF(AND(GST<>"",K28<>"",F28<>"",C28<>"",E28="Enter Date Above"),"<----- Enter ",IF(K28="SP",220,IF(K28="TPR",109.09,IF(K28="TD",136.36,IF(K28="TA",100,""))))))))

I just want to add another IF at the end like this:

=IF(AND(GST="",K28<>""),"Please enter",IF(AND(GST<>"",K28<>"",F28=""),"<----- Enter ",IF(AND(GST<>"",K28<>"",F28<>"",C28=""),"<----- Enter ",IF(AND(GST<>"",K28<>"",F28<>"",C28<>"",E28="Enter Date Above"),"<----- Enter ",IF(K28="SP",220,IF(K28="TPR",109.09,IF(K28="TD",136.36,IF(K28="TA",100,IF(K28="TA",100,"")))))))))

But this comes up with an error, I assume that there must be a maximum number of items to nest?

Is there away around this?

This formula is what I have created inside an invoice that I get my staff to use. The idea is that it is Idiot proof, ie if they forget to enter whether or not they are registered for GST, then it will tell them. If one of the items on the form are missing, it will tell them, but then the last couple are for their pay.

Make any sense? think I have just confused myself... lol

Any help would be appreciated.

Clint

MS-Off Ver
    2016/365
    Hi DeeLaa,

Try this formula:
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    It only uses 5 IF's and a LOOKUP (Excel has a limit of 7 nested IF's, as you've found out). It's a little longer due to the ISERROR check in the LOOKUP section so it can return "" if the LOOKUP does not find a result.

Cheers will give it a go.

Clint

MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Deelaa7

Please read forum rules and message to cross posters and attached the link to the other forum or forums where you posted this question

VBA Noob

Credo Elvem ipsum etian vivere

Please remember to wrap code.

Forum Rules

Please add to your signature if you found this link helpful. Excel links !!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information