+ Reply to Thread

MedianIFS possible?

MedianIFS possible?

Hello,

I have a database of employees with 7 different variables [Year, JobFunction, PreviousIndustry, PreviousRegion, Degree, Experience, CollegeMajor] of which I would like to be able to select any number of and find their median/max/min/etc salary.

For example, I may need to know the median salary of all employees who started in Year 2006, who work in accounting, and have an MBA.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than copy and paste my 7 variable AVERAGEIFS function, I'm just going to use a two variable example here to keep things simple.

I had no trouble doing what I need with this 2 variable AVERAGEIFS function like so;

{=AVERAGEIFS(Salary,File,$A$3,JobFunction,$A$6)}

...where Salary, File and JobFunction are the names of a cells in another worksheet and $A$3 is a drop down menu that I can select the File Year and $A$6 is a drop down menu where I can select the JobFuction.

Now I would also like to have the same kind of conditional "IFS" filtering with the MEDIAN function, but I have been unable to figure it out since Excel doesn't have a MEDIANIFS function. This is what I've tried so far;

{=MEDIAN(IF(AND(File=$A$3,JobFunction=$A$6),Salary))}

but this just returns "0" which obviously means I'm doing something wrong, can anyone help me out here?

Note: I was able to get it to work with just a single variable just fine like so;

{=MEDIAN(IF(File=$A$3,Salary))}

but trying to add the second [and eventually 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th] conditions is the problem.

Thank you!

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Did you try using the Auditing Toolbar to watch the formula evaluate?

Yes I did look through the formula auditor and I'll be honest, I'm not sure I understand exactly what it was saying, nor is it easy to read that tiny little window when my list is 2000 cells long. Regardless, I've made progress but now have a new issue.

I spoke with a colleague of mine and he helped me figure out a format that actually works (with only one problem);

{=MEDIAN(IF(File=$A$3)*IF(JobFunction=$A$6),Salary))}

{=MAX(IF((File=$A$3)*(JobFunction=$A$6),Salary))}

{=STDEV(IF((File=$A$3)*(JobFunction=$A$6),Salary))}

All of these work perfectly AS LONG AS I have a specific value for each variable [file and jobfunction], but say I'm interested in the median salaries of all accountants regardless of the File Year they are in- this particular way of writing the formula always returns a "#NUM" error when I try to input a * into the File field.

Is there another way to write the formula so that it can handle wildcards without errors?

Maybe I need a different kind of wildcard? Is there some way to create a list and have a 'any of the above' or something like that? As it is now, I have a drop down list created through data validation that looks like this for File...

Selecting the "*" works just fine with the =AVERAGEIFS function [obviously.../sigh] but returns an error with any of the other formulas. Anyone know why?
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    ... nor is it easy to read that tiny little window when my list is 2000 cells long
    That's masochistic; don't try to debug array formulas with that much data; limit it to just enough to test possible error conditions.
    Selecting the "*" works just fine with the =AVERAGEIFS function [obviously.../sigh] but returns an error with any of the other formulas.
    Not offhand, but try using formula auditing with a small portion of the data.

You could also use Autofilter or Advanced Filter instead of the formulas.

Unfortunately, I can't use Autofilter or Advanced filter because I need this spreadsheet to be simple enough for people who are not familiar with Excel to use easily.

I'll create a new sheet with a smaller range and see if I can use the auditing tools to figure out the problem.

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    All of those functions ignore text and logical values, so something else is going on.

If you want a hack, you could do something like this:

=IF( A3 = "*", STDEV(IF( (JobFunction = $A$6), Salary) ), STDEV(IF( (File = $A$3) * (JobFunction = $A$6), Salary) )

Excellent. Thanks for your help, SHG. This is a very interesting solution, I've never seen anything like this before. It works (just needed one more parentheses at the end ) BUT...

=IF(A3="*",STDEV(IF((JobFunction=$A$6),Salary)),STDEV(IF((File=$A$3)*(JobFunction=$A$6),Salary)))

...unfortunately, I can't follow the logic of this formula, so I am still confused as to how to apply this so that the wildcard could be in either File or JobFunction. I think the key to my understanding of what's going on here is if I could see it extended to 3 variables...

e.g.
    {=STDEV(IF((File=$A$3)*(JobFunction=$A$6)*(Industry=$A$9),Salary))}

...so that I could use a specific value or a wildcard in any of the 3 variables at any place. I have a feeling this is going to get messy, but if you wouldn't mind explaining this, then I believe I would be able to take over from there.

Thank you again for your help,
    Jonathan

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    The wildcard matches anything, so excluding the test is equivalent. Unfortunately, for three conditions, there are eight possible formulas -- so rather than a very long ugly formula, it would be better to sort out what's going wrong with the one simple one.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 2007

Re: MedianIFS possible?

It may be a far less sophisticated solution, but I exploited the fact that MEDIAN doesn't count certain values, and created a range on a hidden sheet that changed the cells not matching the criteria to false and applying the MEDIAN function to that range. For example, suppose I have the following table on Sheet1:

A
    1 10
    2 55
    3 150
    4 87

If I want the median of all values < 100, I first create a table on Sheet2 using

if(Sheet1!$A1<100,$a1,false)

So on Sheet2 I end up with

A
    1 10
    2 55
    3 FALSE
    4 87

Next, simply use the ordinary median funtion

median(Sheet2!$a$1:$a$4)

and it is if I have been able to use

medianif(Sheet1$a$1,"<100")

And it is not difficult to take this the next step to multiple criteria and columns, which effectively gives me a MEDIANIFS function as well

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

Re: MedianIFS possible?

Try the following formula, which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=STDEV(IF((File=$A$3)+($A$3="*"),IF((JobFunction=$A$6)+($A$6="*"),IF((Industry=$A$9)+($A$9="*"),Salary))))

If you're going to add more than seven variables, use the following syntax instead...

=STDEV(IF(((File=$A$3)+($A$3="*"))*((JobFunction=$A$6)+($A$6="*"))*((Industry=$A$9)+($A$9="*")),Salary))

Also, to make it easier for other users to understand, you may want to change the "*" in the drop-down menu to "All". Of course, replace each instance of "*" in the formula with "All".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information