+ Reply to Thread

remove double quote marks when pasting into notepad

remove double quote marks when pasting into notepad

I have set up an excel file that helps put together different text components using the vlookup and concatenate formulas for use in one plain text document .

When I try to paste the finished result into notepad/textpad/word it adds extra double quote marks throughout the text. Does anyone know how to paste it without these marks?

Thanks!

It might really depend on how you're setup and running this. Is simply using MS Word's Find/Replace feature an option? (Replacing all "" with " , for instance?)

You can also try using the different settings of Edit-->Paste Special (again this would have to be MS Word) and see if that avoids the double quotation issue.

If neither works, perhaps you can post the *.xls.

When I paste it into notepad it adds " to the start and end of text that appears in certain cells. As the contents of the cell also contain " as part of the data, I couldnt use the find and replace tool as it would remove these too.

Can you post an example of the formulas or a copy of the file?

Quote Originally Posted by frantan
    When I paste it into notepad it adds " to the start and end of text that appears in certain cells. As the contents of the cell also contain " as part of the data, I couldnt use the find and replace tool as it would remove these too.
    Why don't you just replace double quotes with a single quote? That wouldn't eliminate quotes, just get rid of the situation with double.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Re: remove double quote marks when pasting into notepad

Quote Originally Posted by frantan View Post
    Hi.. Long time since you posted but I've just found the same problem - and I understand how most of the answers weren't relevant to your problem!

I narrowed it down to fields where I included "char(9)" in the string as I want to include tabs in the output .... I thought I fixed it by using CLEAN() but that removed the tabs as well!

So, did you find a solution? (If you can even remember the problem!!)

'best
    Max

MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 365 Version 2403 Win 11 Home 64 Bit

Re: remove double quote marks when pasting into notepad

Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.
    Alan עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי

Change an Ugly Report with Power Query
    Database Normalization
    Complete Guide to Power Query
    Man's Mind Stretched to New Dimensions Never Returns to Its Original Form

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information