+ Reply to Thread

Cause of "Error in Loading DLL" message

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2016

Cause of "Error in Loading DLL" message

I had been working on some code for about 30 minutes and all of a sudden I am getting an "Error in Loading DLL" message. I can't figure out what I was doing that would have made this error occur. It appears that other workbooks with macros are working correctly. In advice as to what I may have done incorrectly to cause this error and how I might fix it? Thanks.
    Last edited by maacmaac; 08-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010

Re: Cause of "Error in Loading DLL" message

Hello maacmaac,

You should post the workbook for review.
    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

Remember To Do the Following....

1. Use code tags. Place [CODE] before the first line of code and [/CODE] after the last line of code.
    2. Thank those who have helped you by clicking the Star below the post.
    3. Please mark your post [SOLVED] if it has been answered satisfactorily.

Old Scottish Proverb...
    Luathaid gu deanamh maille! (Rushing causes delays!)

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2016

Ok...I have attached the file. It is only one sheet but there is a lot of code and I am still working on it. It is somewhat incomplete.

One note to pass on and I don't know if this makes any difference but I did create the file in Excel 2000 and made modifications using Excel 2003 (e.g. I made some changes to the userform) and have since made more modifications using Excel 2000 again. I don't know if this means anything but I figure the more information I give the better. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010

Hello maacmaac,

I ran the file under the 2000 and 2003 versions of Excel. I didn't get the DLL error you mentioned. However, it does hang up when closing the file in Excel 2000. I have to terminate the process to exit. The exits fine in Excel 2003.

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2016

Thanks for the response. I did a little more investigating to try and pinpoint the problem and I may have an answer but don't have a clue as to what it all means.

Here is the background. As I work on any project, I always save it with a new version as I go. So this project I started with version 1 and have been saving all the way up to version 20 (which is the file I previously attached). I know for certain I was using Excel 2000 through version 15 and then was using Excel 2003 starting with version 16.

I did a number of searches in Google under "Error in Loading DLL" and many of these searches referenced something about missing Ref Edit Control in VBA.

For version 15, I opened the VBA window and went to Tools>References>...and looked at the preferences that are checked off and "Ref Edit Control" is checked. I then looked at version 16 (this is the one that was edited in 2003. under Tools>References>.... the same preference is checked with one exception...now it indicates "Missing:Ref Edit Control"

Anymore insight you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010

Hello maacmaac,

The RefEdit control you choose to load depends on the version of Office you are running. If you are running your Excel Workbook in an Office 2000 environment, the DLL would be version 9.xx. In Office 2003. the DLL version would be 11.xx. If you are going to be running this program on different versions of Office, you will need to check the Office version number and load the correct DLL.

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2016

Ok...that makes sense. I will adjust accordingly. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information