+ Reply to Thread

Need numbers in a column not to repeat

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Need numbers in a column not to repeat

I have an equalization form for 18 guys where I work. Basically they are for extra details. What I want to happen is to go to each guy and ask if they want the detail. If they accept then an A goes into the column and the number next to it goes to 18. Now the problem I'm having is when the number turns to 18 I don't want that number to repeat in that column so I would like the other 18 to turn to 17. No if another guy accepts i want him to go to 18 and the other guy to go to 17. I know it sounds confusing but this is what I have so far.
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    I hope this is enough information.
    Last edited by trprpfo; 11-24-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: wrapping code

MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003, 2010, 2013, 2016, 365

Re: Need numbers in a column not to repeat

I think it would help if you gave an example of some cells when you start, and walk through the changes as a couple of guys respond.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Re: Need numbers in a column not to repeat

I am going to enclose a sample of what I got so its easier to see while I explain.

This is an equal opportunity so everyone gets an equal share of extra details.

In the response column, I would put one of the codes, shown in the bottom, into that column. The "A" and "D" code would change the number to 18 and the "I" would minus the number by one. Now the problem is if you have two A's or two D's, I need to make sure that the numbers don't repeat. For example if E19 is "A" then it goes to 18. If E26 is "A" and it goes to 18 then I need E19 to go to 17. this is just an example .

Now if the response column is "I" then I need the number in the E cells to minus 1. I would like these to continue throughout the the rest of the page and onto the next sheet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information