+ Reply to Thread

Making spreadsheets for other users

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2016

Making spreadsheets for other users

Hello. I'm going to be making some spreadsheets for other people to use at my work, problem is these other people know very little about excel. Plus I've only ever made spreadsheets for myself before.

What I'm looking for is a bit of help, to be pointed in the right direction for certain things

For example.
    I've looked up the way you can lock cells and protect sheets, that's certainly going to be a big help so no-one will delete my formulas

I'm also hoping to create sheets solely where they will input the data, and then that data can be added to a seperate sheet which contains all previous data (does this method have a name?)
    I've done this before using macros, but some of the spreadsheets I'll be making will be on a network used by many different computers so I'm hoping to keep macros down to a minimum

Also what macros can you get away with without the default excel security settings warning users. Where's the best place I can look into macro security

And if anyone's got any advice or something I should look into for making spreadsheets to be used by other people will be greatly appreciated.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

Re: Making spreadsheets for other users

Far as I know, ALL macros will trigger Excel's security warning unless the user has such warnings disabled. (most won't, and it's not recommended anyway)

What sorts of things are you wanting to achieve with macros? Sometimes the same thing can be achieved using formulas instead.

As for things to look into, if your users aren't used to excel then I recommend looking at data validation in addition to locked/protected sheets. Someone putting 'notes' in fields that you'd prefer numbers only can be really annoying. Or even just simple spelling mistakes for common data that could instead have a dropdown list.

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2016

Thanks for the reply. I've looked into that data validation and that will certainly be helpful. Thank you

As for macros. I was hoping that using basic stuff like clearing certain cells, copying cells into a seperate sheet for printing, could be done without a security alert from excel.

Having the sheet that's designed for printing without macros should be no problem. However the sheet that contains all previously entered values, I don't know how I would get the values entered in the user friendly sheet, to be added to the bottom row each time without macros

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003/7/10/13/16/19

Hi Smally,

You shouldn't have a problem with your Macros on a Network drive so why don't you leave them in your file?

I agree with the above ideas & I would add one more to make it easier for the users - shade any Columns background (in any colour) that contain Formulas OR shouldn't be changed by your users.

This will help them follow where they should add the data & not touch anything else.

Cheers
    Remember you are unique, like everyone else

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)

Also what macros can you get away with without the default excel security settings warning users. Where's the best place I can look into macro security
    None. And for versions 2007 and later, you will need to have macros enabled on all machines that will be using your files

Advice - have a data entry sheet, make regular backups and hide/protect all the stuff you dont want them to mess with. Also, work onthe premise that - if there is a way to screw things up, someone will find that way. It's been my experience that as far as error-proofing is concerned, its a catch-up game...you fix 1 loophole, they find another lol

cynical? you bet, comes from "been there, done that" lol
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

Regards
    Ford

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2016

Advice - have a data entry sheet, make regular backups and hide/protect all the stuff you dont want them to mess with. Also, work onthe premise that - if there is a way to screw things up, someone will find that way. It's been my experience that as far as error-proofing is concerned, its a catch-up game...you fix 1 loophole, they find another lol
    Yep I'm having to protect sheets so they stop messing.

I there anyway to have a data entry sheet without the use of macros?
    I was originally hoping to assign macros to buttons so it would add and sort data auto for the users. But with multiple people in multiple computers I don't want to have to explain to everyone to not worry about the security warning

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information