+ Reply to Thread

Excel 2007 : Can't type data into cell

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Can't type data into cell

Hi, all -- new to this forum (well, fairly new to Excel, too!). Here is my problem: I have created a worksheet in which I have simply input some text, but mostly numbers, into cells. For example:

Total income: -----------
    Total expenses: -----------

etc. No formulas or anything like that. I have also color-highlighted certain cells across some rows, and I just recently added one more column. What is happening is that I can no longer type data into certain cells. When I highlight the cell and try to type, I lose one side of the box, and the data in the cell just before it disappears completely until I click somewhere else on the spreadsheet. And if I click twice on the cell I want to add to, it turns a dark blue! These are mainly the cells which have been color-highlighted, and I have no idea what I did! Any suggestions would be most appreciated -- thank you!

Siobhan

MS-Off Ver
    2016/365

Re: Can't type data into cell

Hi Siobhan, welcome to the forum.

Would you be able to upload a copy of the workbook here so we can take a look? Most likely it's nothing too serious to fix.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)

How wide are the cells you are typing into? could it be that the data you are typing is wrapping/expanding over adjacent cells, so you cant see their contents now?
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

Regards
    Ford

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Siobhan, welcome to the forum.

Would you be able to upload a copy of the workbook here so we can take a look? Most likely it's nothing too serious to fix.
    Hello. I'm not sure how to do that exactly, but I'll figure it out and upload the document. Any help would be appreciated!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Hello, and thank you. I can input the same numbers in all the other cells and they are of equal size. It's just a few cells which won't allow any data.

MS-Off Ver
    2016/365

To add an attachment:

Beneath the Quick Reply window at the bottom of the thread, click 'Go Advanced' to open the advanced post editor. In the advanced editor, scroll down until you see the 'Manage Attachments' button. Click that, then in the upper-right corner of the attachments screen click 'Add Files' then click 'Select Files' and browse for the file you want to upload. Once selected, click 'Open' then click 'Upload Files'.

Your uploaded file should appear at the bottom, in the 'Insert Attachments' section. In the lower right corner, click Done. Finally, submit your post!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information