+ Reply to Thread

Tips for a beginning learning VBA

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Tips for a beginning learning VBA

Hello, I posted in the other Access forum with the parameters for a project I'd like to accomplish in Access. My simple question was whether or not Access was capable of doing what I wanted. The answer was yes, so now I am determined to figure it out!

The problem is, I am not familiar with the way VBA works and that knowledge is crucial for my project. I was simply wondering what the best approach to learning about Access and VBA is and if anyone has a good link that would be helpful for someone with only Excel knowledge? I am a quick learner, but I have yet to find any helpful information about learning how to write code without any prior knowledge of how to do so. TIA!

MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 365 Version 2403 Win 11 Home 64 Bit

Re: Tips for a beginning learning VBA

See my response to your other posting for starting points.
    Alan עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי

Change an Ugly Report with Power Query
    Database Normalization
    Complete Guide to Power Query
    Man's Mind Stretched to New Dimensions Never Returns to Its Original Form

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 Professional

Quote Originally Posted by RCope View Post
    I am a quick learner, but I have yet to find any helpful information about learning how to write code without any prior knowledge of how to do so. TIA!
    Honestly one of the best things to do is look at code others have written and figure out why they did what they did. Allen Browne's Tips site has some great examples. Spend the money on a good book also if you are serious. For starting I would check out something like "Access Bible" or "Access VBA Bible".

If you read the links Alan posted on your other thread, "BEFORE" you begin your database, you will save yourself a fair amount of rework. However, you would join the ranks of most of us who didn't read started, then redid most of what we had already done.
    "I am not a rocket scientist, I am a nuclear engineer." - Split_atom18
    If my advice has been helpful to you, then please help me by clicking on the "Star" and adding to my reputation, Thanks!

MS-Off Ver
    Office 2007 at work, 2010 at home

I am working on a form project. And Im now trying to add some vba/macro functionality:

1. Events that execute on form load

2. yes/no boxes to confirm actions

my problem is I do not understand the scope of the document. I dont know where to put what code in the vba editor and I can't find a good reference web page for syntax and structure of the overall project. I also dont know what objects I have to involve at what levels of the document to get everything working properly. I have some programming experience, but none in VBA.. Any ideas?? should I just get a book as suggested above, I already have too much to read haha...

MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 365 Version 2403 Win 11 Home 64 Bit

A book is always a good source. Additionally, you may wish to try YouTube as there are many Access topics. Also a good source is datapigtechnologies.com and his blog BaconBits which is linked to the site. As Split_Atom mentioned above, Allen Browne is an excellent source. And of course you can always post your issue with as much information as possible to this site. There are lots of talented people checking in from time to time.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information