+ Reply to Thread

Change letter to number using if statement

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Post Change letter to number using if statement

Is there a way to use the If statement, if you want to have a letter become a number? for example =if(a1=w,"5","").

MS-Off Ver
    Office 2019 (still learning)

Re: mr.

Why don't you try that?

And then, put the quotes around the letter and not around the 5 (unless you want that to be a text value).

Next time, come up with a more meaningful title - I'm sure the mods will be on to you soon.

Pete

MS-Off Ver
    Excel '97 & 2003/7

@ Pete
    What mods?

MS-Off Ver

They haven't ALL jumped ship, have they?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel '97 & 2003/7

Check "Who's Online", at any time.

Respect to DLL & RB, their tenacity is more than commendable!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Pickledude,

Your post does not comply with Rule 1 of our Forum RULES. Your post title should accurately and concisely describe your problem, not your anticipated solution. Use terms appropriate to a Google search. Poor thread titles, like Please Help, Urgent, Need Help, Formula Problem, Code Problem, and Need Advice will be addressed according to the OP's experience in the forum: If you have less than 10 posts, expect (and respond to) a request to change your thread title. If you have 10 or more posts, expect your post to be locked, so you can start a new thread with an appropriate title.
    To change a Title on your post, click EDIT then Go Advanced and change your title, if 2 days have passed ask a moderator to do it for you.

If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Marcol,

Did you forget me?

MS-Off Ver
    Xp; 2007; 2010

It's a pointless question. The OP has the answer, wasting more time asking here than testing in Excel!
    Hope that helps.

RoyUK
    --------
    For Excel Tips & Solutions, free examples and tutorials why not check out my web site

Free DataBaseForm example

MS-Off Ver
    Excel '97 & 2003/7

Did you forget me?
    How could I forget you Arlette?
    I didn't forget Roy either, but neither of you can be on duty 24/7.

The comment was based on a snapshot at the time of posting, try it at any time, often there no moderators on line, or they have chosen to remain hidden.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Ok. Yes i get you. I am online most of the day India time, but i believe when you are online, there wont be many mods online at that time.

We are in the process of having some more mods join the group. Then it should be much better.

MS-Off Ver

To Arlette and Roy, how about a bit of advice here? Should I have waited until a mod pointed out the error of the OP's ways? Should I have pointed out the error and refused to offer advice until he changed the title? Should I have ignored the request for help? Or was I right to give him the (quick) answer that the question required AND warn him about the title? Or, should I have done something else?

Pete

MS-Off Ver
    2016/365

Re: Change letter to number using if statement

Apparently *I* was forgotten. ::sniff sniff::

Anyway, as a senior member we'd think it grand if you mentioned the rules without immediately giving out the answer even though you're not required to do so. Unless Pickle is following this thread, their next post is likely to run afoul of the rules. If one of us hasn't responded in a reasonable amount of time, well, you're free to assist.

You can always use the Report button to let us know, which is much easier for us to catch as they appear to us even in our dreams when offline.

Gracias!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Pete,

You could have taken either of the steps you mentioned. Sometimes, a mod might not be available to point out the error, in that case, you can point out the error yourself and wait for the OP to change the title. You could even inform that you have the answer but the title requires a change, so you cannot offer it.

In this case, you offered the quick solution and warned about the title but the OP didnt come back to change the title. (I just changed it now to assist other users). It happens like this many times.

I am not saying you have done the wrong thing, as it all depends on the circumstances. I personally do not give answers till the OP corrects the title.

MS-Off Ver

Thanks, Paul and Arlette, for coming back to me.

I've seen the past comments about moderation on the forum, and I don't want to start up a new debate here, but I was intrigued that Paul implied I was a "senior member" - although I have been posting in the old newgroups and in other forums for many years, I only joined this forum at the start of the year, so I still see myself very much as a Junior member here who is still learning the ropes. I hope I can help people who have problems with Excel.

Pete

MS-Off Ver
    2016/365

You're doing a great job, Pete, and we're glad to have you around. What you may lack in tenure, you certainly make up for in activity. You're already in the top 150 posters (by count) in forum history (likely top 100 of active posters), and at your current pace you would be in the top 50 by year's end.

Thanks again for volunteering your time and knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information