+ Reply to Thread

Execute a Unix Job through Excel

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Post Execute a Unix Job through Excel

Hello Everyone,

I am on a daily task of executing several jobs a day through UNIX. All Jobs are same and i can't schedule using cron as i have to execute them based on other analysis.
    Can you please help me know, If it is possible to connect to Unix and execute a job through excel?

Why Excel? Here I can place all my jobs below the other and have a execute button next to it , So that when I click execute the job should get executed in unix.
    If there is a solution Can you please guide me on how to go about it?

Please let me know, If I am unclear with my question...

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit

Re: Execute a Unix Job through Excel

I suggest you take a look at AutoIT http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/

If you can do it with a mouse and keyboard, you can do it with AutoIT. I used it a lot with SAP a few years back

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Post Re: Execute a Unix Job through Excel

Quote Originally Posted by Mallycat View Post
    I suggest you take a look at AutoIT http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/

If you can do it with a mouse and keyboard, you can do it with AutoIT. I used it a lot with SAP a few years back
    Thanks for response, But Is there any other alternative way, through which I can avoid using this thirdparty software? I am working in a citrix environment and might not have access either to install or work on such software?
    Please let me know , If I can write a Macro or something like that using any other MS tool I would be able to achieve my task.

Thanks a ton for your valuable advice.

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit

I have used this software extensively on my PC to execute scripts on SAP that runs through Citrix. I personally would not get involved in using Excel to automate other applications. It may be possible by an Super Expert, but personally I don't think it is a very good approach. Regardless, such an excercise would require access to the actual environment for design, build and testing. I think it would be virtually impossible for someone remote (ie on this forum) to write any script for you, in Excel or AutoIT.

My advice remains the same. Learn to use AutoIT and do it yourself. If you don't have the skill to do that, try to find someone in your organisation that can do it for you.

Good luck

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Thanks for your advice.. As you said.. I have tried all ways to get it connected and was fininding it difficuly.. I will start using this tool and let me see how fast I can learn this. Thank you very much for you time and advice...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information