+ Reply to Thread

Need your Help

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Need your Help

Hello i hope I got the right forum where i can ask questions. I am a new Excel user and was desperate trying to know some basic math. I am calculating the number of days but I havn't had idea what and how to do it. I want to find the exact number of days lets say from 1/3/2012 - 2/25/2015. What is the correct formula. I already tried it several times following this formula; =A1-B1 and press enter but what i got is this #value

Thanks

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Re: Need your Help

Could you please take a few minutes to consult the forum rules about thread titles?
    HTH
    Regards, Jeff

MS-Off Ver
    O365 v 2402

Try =end_date-start_date

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 and 2013

Hi Pepe,

Please give the OP a chance to respond to the senior member's request before posting a response. The new members need to learn the forum rules and in fact your post may be deleted by one of the moderators and a penality issued to you.

abousetta
    Please consider:

Thanking those who helped you. Click the star icon in the lower left part of the contributor's post and add Reputation.
    Cleaning up when you're done. Mark your thread [SOLVED] if you received your answer.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Pepe,

Your post does not comply with Rule 7 of our Forum RULES. Please do not ignore Moderators' or Administrators' requests - note that this includes requests by senior members as well, if you are unclear about their request or instruction then send a private message to them asking for help. Do not post a reply to a thread where a moderator has requested an action that has not been complied with e.g Title change or Code tags...etc
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Ncarrera,

Your post does not comply with Rule 1 of our Forum RULES. Your post title should accurately and concisely describe your problem, not your anticipated solution. Use terms appropriate to a Google search. Poor thread titles, like Please Help, Urgent, Need Help, Formula Problem, Code Problem, and Need Advice will be addressed according to the OP's experience in the forum: If you have less than 10 posts, expect (and respond to) a request to change your thread title. If you have 10 or more posts, expect your post to be locked, so you can start a new thread with an appropriate title.
    To change a Title on your post, click EDIT then Go Advanced and change your title, if 2 days have passed ask a moderator to do it for you.

MS-Off Ver
    O365 v 2402

Quote Originally Posted by abousetta View Post
    Hi Pepe,

Please give the OP a chance to respond to the senior member's request before posting a response. The new members need to learn the forum rules and in fact your post may be deleted by one of the moderators and a penality issued to you.

abousetta
    What is the OP supposed to answer to
    Could you please take a few minutes to consult the forum rules about thread titles?
    ? Yes or no? Is there a time limit within which an answer should be given? What is the definition of a senior member ?

@arlu

Not so long ago there were lots of complaints about the previous mod team being too harsh - I see being harsh is "in" again...

Also please read your own rules :
    Please do not ignore Moderators' or Administrators' requests - note that this includes requests by senior members as well
    No request was made to me by anybody

Do not post a reply to a thread where a moderator has requested an action that has not been complied with e.g Title change or Code tags...etc
    With all due respect, to the best of my knowledge no moderator requested any action

As I did not infringe any rule, please reverse the unfounded warning - Thx

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 and 2013

What the OP was supposed to do is ammend the title so that it reflects the question? Last I checked there is no way to search for "Need your help" in Google and end up with this thread in the search results. If the OP doesn't know what to do they easily say so, and we will help. What we don't want is a 100 thread titles with "Help me"... "Help me please"... "Help is requested"... "Need a quick answer"... "This is an easy one"... etc. That's all.

Arlu, I would agree that a verbal explaination is enough and an infraction is not needed in this case.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Mokko View Post
    Try =end_date-start_date
    Pepe,

Possibly the reality of the situation, do you really think that I could not have offered this solution? I'm sure you are very aware there are many one hit wonders, not only on this forum, but others as well.

I simply requested the user read the forum rules about thread titles and abousetta is absolutely right. Who in the world is going to search for "Need your help" or anything similiar. Doesn't everybody come to this forum or any other for help? Requesting help is implied within the question and a properly worded question can tell many things up front.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Seems to be a double standard though. Going by the posting & edit times in this thread (http://www.excelforum.com/excel-gene...58#post2778958) someone committed the same breach but did not receive an infraction.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

I agree

Infractions should be administered the same across the board, but alas, this does not happen. Tough job for those moderators.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Pepe,

No request was made to me by anybody
    A request was made to you in post4. I have not given you an infraction (which results in points getting deducted) but only a warning (no points deducted).

Regarding this thread - http://www.excelforum.com/excel-gene...itionally.html, i do not see any double standard. The OP was asked to change the title and he/she did it. After that, replies started coming in.
    I dont

MS-Off Ver
    O365 v 2402

Quote Originally Posted by arlu1201 View Post
    Pepe,

A request was made to you in post4.
    As my post is number 3 I could not have answered post #4 which, logically came after my post - So, once more please withdraw a warning which is not deserved according to the rule you quoted
    Last edited by Pepe Le Mokko; 05-04-2012 at 09:20 AM.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

Let me explain again - A request was made to the OP in post 2, but you ignored that and replied in post 3, due to which a request was made in post 4 to you.

We are just trying to make this place a better place to be in, so we all have to follow the rules.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

@arlu1201
    OK, since you don't see what I'm talking about in that linked thread - here's the chronology:
    08:37 - original post with lousy title (ie. "formula help"
    08:51 - first response gives a possible solution
    08:52 - post #3 - request made (by icestationzbra) to change thread title - and offers possible solution
    09:13 - post #4 - OP responds and asks for further assistance and instructions on how to attach sample file
    09:20 - post #5 - instructions given on how to attach sample file
    09:34 - edit #1 - OP edits post #1 to change title
    09:35 - post #6 - OP attaches sample
    09:49 - edit #2 - post #5 is edited for unknown reason

Now, I think I know what happened but just from how the thread appears in its present state it looks as though the author of post #5 ignored the title change request in post #3 by offering assistance 28 minutes after the title change request and 14 minutes before the title was changed. So, should that post #5 author receive the same warning that has been issued here in this thread?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007

I am sorry i didnt put in notes in the Edit field of post# 5. I had asked the OP to change the title in that post and after it was done, i removed that post, to avoid any confusions. I missed out putting a note in the Edit field stating that the title was changed, so post edited. Will do that now.

MS-Off Ver
    O365 v 2402

Quote Originally Posted by arlu1201 View Post
    Let me explain again - A request was made to the OP in post 2, but you ignored that and replied in post 3, due to which a request was made in post 4 to you.
    I beg to differ - The post #2 was made to the OP and asked him to read forum rules, nothing more. I never ignored that, but who am I to say if the OP did or did not read the rules? In fact, following your reasoning, no one may answer the OP unless he posts something like " Yes, I have read the rules"....

Also ( with all due respect to you, abousetta) is abousetta to be considered a senior member ? Please define what a senior member is as I already asked, but which you did not bother to answer

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 and 2013

Pepe, you bring up a good point that all forum gurus, in addition to moderators, should have the ability to lock a thread until the OP can respond to requests for changes (e.g. use code tags, change title, etc.). I will bring this up in the thread on suggestions for improvement. That way there won't be a chance for other posters to misunderstand if the OP is asked a question and whether or not they have responded accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information