+ Reply to Thread

Spreadsheet to show the results of golf competitions

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Question Spreadsheet to show the results of golf competitions

Hi. I need to create a spreadsheet to show the results of golf competitions for next season.
    the first page will have all the relevent golfers names on it & across from that the venues.
    I want to be able to put the golfers score into the box adjacent to their name & venue.
    I then need it to fill in on another page a league table (leaderboard) this needs to adjust the golfers position.
    I will also have a seperate spreadsheet, linked which will also show the individual event venue & the positions finished at that venue including points.
    so when information is inputted into sheet one with golfers & venues, it automatically fills in the individual event sheet & also fills in & updates the yearly leaderboard.

I have attached a spreadsheet example from last season, however the score will now have to be put in manually on the golfers sheet, & I do not know how to do this?
    I believe there is hidden formulae etc?

Please Note these are made up names!!

I would appreciate anyone's help. I am frankly totally useless with excel.

Thank you!

Moderator's Note: As per Forum Rule #1, please use a more descriptive title next time when posting a question…Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jeffreybrown; 11-27-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Re: Spreadsheet to show the results of golf competitions

Do you plan on inputting all data on the Golfers sheet or on the individual tournament sheets? Seems like you would enter info on the individual tourn sheets (as that contains additional info) and have that automatically load both the Golfers sheet and the Leadership sheet? If not, give a more complete description of what you are entering where.
    ChemistB
    My 2?

substitute commas with semi-colons if your region settings requires
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Edit First post>Advanced>Change Prefix)
    If I helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the little star at bottom of this post)

Forum Rules: How to use code tags, mark a thread solved, and keep yourself out of trouble

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Its easier to input the golfers score on the golfers sheet adjacent to the venue they are playing. this then also fills in the individual venue sheet & also updates the
    leaderboard. It also auto adjusts the golfers positions on the leaderboard, When you click refresh in the pivot table.
    On the individual event sheets I have to put information in that, realistically excel cannot do this as it changes with the rules of golf & varying different circumstances.

so as it is now I input the golfers score as 30 points for first, 29 points for second etc. it then sorts the rest out for me.

However this season the points system will change drastically, again I believe the scores on the original sheet are designed to go up by an increment of one down the ladder if you like. This will change to a manually inputted system.

This can also mean players get the same scores as others (tied). Over the season this will balance out.

I will be using a score system called Stableford if you know golf?

At the moment you cannot input the same score in on the golfers sheet as it will not calculate.
    It will also not calculate the positions finished on the individual sheets & not adjust the leader board.

I know this new system means more input form me, so all i want it to do is auto fill in the other areas & adjust accordingly where the players finish on the venue sheet & auto adjust the leaderboard positions if that is possible?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Actually just had a rethink!!
    sorry i am a nuisance!
    it may be better to manually input the golfers finishing positions into the individual venue page.
    Reason being is there may be several tied positions. These will be determined by a countback system, which although the golfers have the same score, they will be put into an order of merit I.E 1st 2nd, 3rd etc.
    So just to reitterate.
    I would like to put the golfers scores & positions manually into the venue/event sheet.
    Excel the adjusts the leader board according to where the players finish even though some of the scoring will be the same.
    at the moment the leader board table cannot cope with any score the same or anything more than 30?
    Sorry to be a right pain!

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Okay, I'll work something up and you can let me know what you'd like changed. With my system, you won't need the Pivot Table sheet. Does this need to be Excel 2003 compatable or will everyone who's working on it be using 2007 or up?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Thumbs up Re: Spreadsheet to show the results of golf competitions

Hi

There may be some old people, lol.

Probably better to make it in compatable to 2003 onwards if that's ok.

Thank you!
    Last edited by preggy2001; 11-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Forgot to mention

There will be eight events.

there will be anything from 12 to 30 members on each event.

very simlilar in fact to my original spreadsheet.

I would like to be able to modify the scoring if necessary as there is still debate on how this is going to work.

So if I can input my own numbers & the spreadsheet then self calculates from the positions I put them in at the venues.

Hey thank you for your help & interest.
    It will also need to calculate using the numbers for the leaderbaord.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Okay, is overall ranking (Leadership Board) based on total points (i.e. 30 pts for 1st, 29 for 2nd, etc) OR an average of overall points.
    For example, Bob played in all matches (8) and came in 4rd every time for a total of 8*22 or 176 points. Steve only played in 6 tournaments but came in 2nd in each for 6 * 29 or 174 points. Steve averaged 2nd place while Bob averaged 4th but Bob has more points.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Okay, just so we're on the same page, here's how I have it set up so far.
    1. You need to enter the Golfers' names on the "Golfers" sheet.
    2. You enter the results on the individual tourn sheet, there are dropdowns for golfer names there. Change the points on those sheets if you have a different system or if a particular tournment counts double. Points on the Leadership board are fed from here.
    3. Everything else should automatically fill in.
    On the Golfers sheet, I have it filling in with the place (1,2,3,..) that the golfer took for each tournament.
    On the Leaders Board, it is currently set up to rank by total points, this uses the hidden "Calculation" sheet.
    I think this is a much simpler setup than was originally there.
    Anything you need changed?
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

This is where is gets a little complicated!
    As of next year there will be a manual points scoring system in place.
    So originally yes there was a system from 30 points for 1st, decreasing by one point per place.

This season we.re using a golf points system known as stableford.

This means I will have to manually put the scores in on the venue sheet.

Where a player has the same score as another there will be a system known as countback.

Basically there could be several players on the same score, but I will have to sort their places using the countback system.

This is why I have to change from the previuos spreadsheet.

The basics are the same, at each event the players finish reference to how many points they get, they will finish 1st 2nd 3rd etc.

The points they actually get on the day will be what is then entered on the venue sheet.
    The same number should also go on the leaderboard points table.

I would like to put in the points scored on each venue sheet, sort the position by points & countback.

This then automatically sorts the points on the leaderboard & adjusts the players positions as the season progress's.

There will be no averages, if the player doesn't play, nil points are entered.

Hope this is clear?

Thank you.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

hi

Just had a go with the sheet.

Unfortunately the points system I used originally are now void!

So where I had put points for leader board from 30 downwards.

Basically whatever points are achieved whilst playing will be added to the venue sheet.

The players positions will also be manually adjusted on what is known as countback.

This does mean there will be sometimes several golfers with exactly the same amount of points, however they will be in a different position.

What is inputted as their points will also need to carried over to the leaderbaord. This should then self calculate & adjust the golfers positions accordingly.

It will not matter if there are several golfers on the same points here as long as over the season of eight matches this adjusts accordingly.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

I think the spreadsheet I gave you will sum points based on what you put down on the venue sheets. Try entering a venue with unique golfer names and set up the points however you like on that venue and see if it does what you want it to do.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Just tested the spreadsheet out, works a dream.

Just a question, if for any reason we decide to have more events or maybe less can I add venues or delete them?

Will this affect the spreadheet? I notice there are n/a etc in the golfers chart.

If I need to amend this how do I do that.

So if I wanted to add another venue so there were 9 as a for instance what do I need to do & where?

By the way thank you so much for your time & efforts on this it is much appreciated!!!

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

To increase venues
    You have 4 Venue sheets hidden called C1, C2, C3 and C4. There are hidden columns in Golfers and Leaderboard for them also. Just right click on any spreadsheet tab > Unhide and pick "C1" Double click on the tab to change the tab name. Unhide the columns you want and change it from C1 in Golfers (Leaderboard is linked to Golfers so should change automatically after you change Golfers).

To reduce venues, I'd do the reverse, clear the data from the venue sheet, right click on the tab and "Hide" Right click on the columns in Golfer and Leaderboard and "Hide" there also.
    Let me know if you have problems.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

wow

You have been so helpful, thank you so so much.

Is there anything I can do for you to thank you?

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Glad it's working. I appreciate the rep you gave me when you clicked on the star. Hope the golfing goes well.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Cool thank you!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Not sure if you are still on this forum?
    The sheets you have made work great, unfortunately when setting up for the new season, which involves changing the course names it stops calculating?
    The scores entered do not then fill in on the leaderboard, in fact all information seems to get lost? Hopefully you will be able to look at this please.

Thank you

David

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Not sure if you are still on this forum?
    The sheets you have made work great, unfortunately when setting up for the new season, which involves changing the course names it stops calculating?
    The scores entered do not then fill in on the leaderboard, in fact all information seems to get lost? Hopefully you will be able to look at this please.

Thank you

David

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Not sure why it stopped calculating. Can you upload the spreadsheet (clear names if necessary)? Zip the file if it's too big.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Thank you for responded, I have changed the names, I also attach the sheet with courses we are going to use.
    I have experimented with the sheet. It will not let me add another golfer? Also if I leave it saying Rutland instead of ashborne it works fine.
    It changes things ok in the golfers section, I>E the names & the courses, however it wont put the results in the championship. Again if I change the 1st column in the championship to the original name of rutland it then calculates & adjusts.It changes it all in the calculation sheet, just won't fill in leaderboard? There are now eight different names in the courses section to work with, thank you for your help!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Just had a play around with it.
    If I add a new golfer it is working, although for some reason it didn't yesterday?
    I add scores on the events sheets individually. So in this case asborne I put a name in 1st place & say give them 37 points in both the right hand columns.
    I then go to second place add the golfers name from drop down menu, I put his score in say 36 points & carry this on for all the players.
    When you go to the leader board/ championship scoreboard it is arranging the names, however no score is showing to then calculate as the table gets filled in.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Unfortunately, the Defined names that are used to fill in the Champion sheet do not change when you change the sheet name. For example, if you look at the defined names (Formulas> Name Manager), you'll see that the sheet names do not correspond to the defined names.

The easiest way is to fix this directly, click on each tournament defined name (i.e. "Rutland" and Edit, change name to Ashborne. Alternately, I could modify the formulas and get rid of the defined names altogether. It will make the formulas more complex though.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

I don't mind if I have to change it myself.
    Please bare in mind I am pretty useless with excel, so if you could tell me from scratch where & how I edit the course names I will have a try.

Thank you
    David

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver

Go to the Formulas Tab> Click on "Name Manager"
    That will show you all defined names. You want the ones that are related to your individual tournaments. The first name "Bondhay" should be "Alliestee". Click on that name in the name manager window that opened. Click Edit and change the name. Hit "OK" and continue with the other defined names.
    Does that work for you?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi
    I followed the instructions & edited the courses in Name Manager.
    I then did a mock up of the first three events just entering 1st 2nd & 3rd In the ashborne result sheet I entered 38 for 1st 36 2nd & 36 3rd. I also made scores up for the next two events. Unfortunately once I have entered these scores it has put them in an order on the championship sheet to completely different courses?
    I have attached the sheet filled in.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

I just went through it, please understand this is beyond me! However Although I changed the names in Name manager. once entered it juggled them around to other course names I had inputted?
    I then just re-edited this & it now seems to work.
    There does seem to be another problem though. I have twenty golfers but only 19 show on championship table. All names are on the golfers sheet.

Thank you

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by preggy2001 View Post
    Hi

I just went through it, please understand this is beyond me! However Although I changed the names in Name manager. once entered it juggled them around to other course names I had inputted?
    I then just re-edited this & it now seems to work.
    There does seem to be another problem though. I have twenty golfers but only 19 show on championship table. All names are on the golfers sheet.

Thank you
    Hi
    I had a look and there no formula in B27:B33
    Copy B26 then paste it B27:B33. Then you see name on 20th.

Cheer
    To help you by my post? it would be nice to click on to say "Thank you".
    If you are happy with a solution to your problem?
    Click Thread Tools above your first post,
    select "Mark your thread as Solved".

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Sorry which sheet am I copying from?
    The golfers sheet or the Championship sheet
    If its the golfers sheet I can't see b36? It also doesn't seem to want to unhide.
    Sorry!

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007/10/16

champion sheet

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hi

Thank you. it seems to be working now, I will test it more thoroughly tomorrow, I appreciate your help!

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007/10/16

No worry! Notice ChemistB offlline. Saw you online just a quck look where the problem is while you online.
    Good luck.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Dear Chemist B,

May i firstly say that your "GOLF LEAGUE TABLE INCLUDING REULTS.xlsx‎ (71.6 KB, 88 views) Download", has been an enormous help to my golf events here in Japan. However recently my player numbers have exceeded your 30 player limit and even though i have tried to follow your "instructions" i am still unable to solve how i can increase the name list on the dropdown on each of the golf courses i.e. Rutland, Stoke etc. Besides this challenge i am also lost in space when it come to formatting the the cells from 31 to 50 on each of the game sheets.

May i indulge upon your kindness by asking if you could help me please?

Kind REgards

Agolfersguide

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)

Agolfersguide, welcome to the forum

Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

Regards
    Ford

MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 7

How do you make a leaderboard for a Championship Tournament 18 hole event. Ranking low score to high score

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Administrative Note:
    • Somebody would be happy to help with your query, but first, before we can proceed…
    • Please see Forum Rule #2...Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread..
    • If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.
    • Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.
    HTH
    Regards, Jeff

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Thank you, and I'm sorry i was not aware that i was infringing the rules. I will be more careful in the future.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Hello Jeff,

Apologies for my ignorance, how does one start a new thread, using a theme that has been used before?

Kind Regards

Agolfersguide

MS-Off Ver

Just start a new thread, as you would normally, post your question, and include a link back to this thread

http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...22#post4522722

MS-Off Ver
    WIN 10

I am looking for a spreadsheet option for an easier way of imputing scores and calculating gross & net rankings....anyone do this already> Our firefighters golf club have a 2-day year end tournament so I would need the spreadsheet to calculate not only the individual score but also a cumulative score as well. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. In the past we have used the big score sheets and wrote everything out and that just doesn't seem efficient enough and too time consuming. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you!

MS-Off Ver

tilrman76 welcome to the forum

Perhaps you missed the discussion above in posts 36-39?
    Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information