How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?

  1. #1
    Gary
    Guest

    How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?

    Each day I work with two worksheets. One is a list of numbers that is given
    to me by someone else. The other list is something I make myself, again it is
    a list of numbers. I need to know if there is a way I can compare the data to
    find out if any of the numbers I input on my list match up to the ones on the
    list I am given. I am aware of the "Find" function, but I'm working with
    lists of hundreds of numbers, and it's really annoying to take each one and
    "find" it on another worksheet. Any answers?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?

    Hi Gary,

    See Chip Pearson's Tagging Duplicates page. In particular, look at :

    Extracting Values Common To Two Lists
    and
    Extracting Values On One List And Not Another

    near the foot of the page:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...gingDuplicates

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?

    Take a look at

    http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  4. #4

    bad reply?

    I don't know if I am off base here or not but I am looking for a similar formula to compare two different lists of information. Chip's info seems to discuss only how to compare for duplicate in one column. What I see being asked here and what I wish to have is a formula that will compare column b in worksheet 1 with column b in worksheet 2 and let me know if there are any duplicate names or details.

    the links to Chips info do not help with this.
    Does anyone have some better helps or options? I had one once but can't seem to find it now.

  5. #5

    Re: How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?

    You could use an additional column (C) in both worksheets.

    Then put this type of formula in C1:

    =isnumber(match(b1,'sheet2'!b:b,0))
    and drag down

    Change the sheet name to match the other sheet (huh?).

    Then drag down.

    You'll end up with a column True/false. True means there was a match.