[SOLVED] Amitorization schedule?

  1. #1
    Cherlosheart
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Amitorization schedule?

    How do I set up an Amitorization schedule/chart in Excel?

  2. #2
    Western NY
    check out the PV )Present Value) function and the "See Also" functions. It should help you set up the necessary tables.

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Amitorization schedule?

    check this MS article

  4. #4
    New Jersey
    How do I set up an Amitorization schedule/chart in Excel? For al Functions of P, A, i, r, etc..

  5. #5
    Brian
    Guest

    Re: Amitorization schedule?

    There is an Amortization template in Excel 2003 that works great.

    "rlockwood" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Amitorization schedule?

    An amortization schedule is pretty simple. The columns are Period, Opening
    Balance, Payment, Interest, Closing Balance

    Opening Balance is Closing Balance of previous row, or the starting amount of
    the loan.
    Interest = OpeningBalance * IntRate / NumPmtsPerYear
    Closing Balance = OpeningBalance - Payment + Interest

    Copy down until Closing Balance gets to zero.

    I don't know what you mean by "al functions of P, A, i, r". Excel financial
    functions do a lot more than just amortization tables. If what you want to know
    are the formulas, they are in Help.

    Fred

  7. #7

    Re: Amitorization schedule?

    "rlockwood" wrote:
    > How do I set up an Amitorization schedule/chart in Excel?
    > For al Functions of P, A, i, r, etc..

    There is a l-o-t more information that you need to give in
    order to answer the question properly. For example, what
    loan parameters do you have to begin with? What frequency
    do you want the schedule to reflect; for example, monthly
    (per payment) or annually?

    Typically, we have at least the loan amount (pv), the nominal
    annual interest rate (i), and the term of the loan in months
    (n). We assume monthly payments, and we assume interest
    s compounded monthly. In that case, the payments are:

    ROUNDUP(PMT(i/12, n,, -pv), 2)

    A monthly amortization table might consist of the following
    columns and formulas:

    A = payment date (useful when compounding daily)
    B = payment: ROUND(PMT(i/12, n,, -pv)
    C = interest: C2 = B1*(i/12)
    D = principal: D2 = B2 - C2
    E = Balance; E1 = loan amount; E2 = E1 - D2

    Note-1: Last payment (B360 for a 30-year loan) =
    D359 + C360; i.e, the remaining balance plus interest.
    This may be larger or smaller than the regular payment.

    Note-2: I do not know whether or not lenders round
    the formula in column C (interest).

    Things get more complicated if you have the "APR", but
    not the nominal interest rate, and if interest is compounded
    daily. If you have the "APR", it is important to to know
    whether it is the Reg Z APR or an advertised APR. They
    are computed very differently. If you have the Reg Z
    statement, the payment should be taken from there, not
    computed as above. Morevoer, the above assumes a US
    loan or similar. Other countries might do things differently.