Conditional Formating

  1. #1
    Danny
    Guest

    Conditional Formating

    I have cells in a worksheet that brings in numbers (linked to the cell)from
    other sheets in the work book. The values being brought in a simple numbers,
    averaged from a small set of other numbers.

    All number formats are set to number, 0 decimal points.

    The roll up table is showing the correct, rounded values to the nearest
    whole number that are linked back to cells in the supporting work sheet.

    However, the problem appears to be that conditonal formating is looking at
    the worsheet values and applying the format to the un rounded values.

    For example, if I tell the roll up table to format red each cell that has a
    value between 3 & 3.99. The table shows side by side cells that both contain
    the number 3. However one cell is red and the other is not. If you go back
    to the cell of origin for each, it will show that the unrounded value for one
    cell may be 2.8, and 3.5 for the other. The condition is applied based on
    the decimal points, even though the origin cells are fomatted with no decimal
    places.

    Thanks in advance,

    Danny

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formating

    Hi Danny

    numbers formatted to hide the decimal places aren't actually rounded they
    just look that way
    try this
    type in A1
    57.6
    and format it to show no decimal places now in B1 type
    =A1*100
    you will see that the original number is multiplied by 100 not the formatted
    number

    to round a number use the round function
    =ROUND(A1,0)

    unfortunately, i can't think of an easy way to solve your problem unless you
    use tools / options / calculation, precision as displayed ... however, the
    following warning is given in HELP
    --
    Caution When you change the precision of the calculations in a workbook by
    using the displayed (formatted) values, Excel permanently changes any
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Danny
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formating

    Thanks and right oh! The cell values is format as desired, i.e. whole
    numbers only, but the conditinal format goes back to the "behind the scenes"
    cell value, even though the refeenced cell in the link is also formatted to a
    whole number. Will give your suggestion a try and let you know.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formating

    Could you not use a CF formula of say

    =AND(ROUND(A1,0)>=3,ROUND(A1,0)<4)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Danny
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formating

    Julie D.

    tried your suggestion & it worked just fine! Am simply averaging some basic
    scoring with rates from 1 to 5 so did not have to worry about losing
    precision and the values were not further linked or utilizied so no worry
    about downstream precision or accuracy. Used conditional format to color a
    cell with green, yellow or red based on the score in order to highlight areas
    that need improvements.

    Bob - thanks for the idea, but a cf does not fit into the end result I
    needed and there are more than the two conditons of T or F.

  6. #6
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formating

    Hi Danny

    glad to hear its solved and thanks for the feedback.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Colorado
    MS-Off Ver
    2000,2003,2007
    Danny,
    It looks like the rounding solution worked, but if you are concerned about rounding for downstream calculations why not set up your conditional fortting based on the unrounded results.

    ie.
    if your value is between 2.51 and 3.50 it will round to 3 and you want it red
    if your value is between 3.51 and 4.50 it will round to 4 and you want it yellow
    if your value is above 4.51 it will round to 5 and you want it green.

    So set up your conditions accordingly.
    Rather than value = 3 turns red
    have value between 2.51 and 3.50 turns red

    etc.

    Just a thought.