Maximum value in a workbook

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Maximum value in a workbook

    Please help to find out the maximum value corresponding to a cell value in a worksheet.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good morning brshm

    Can you not use the MAX function thus:

    =MAX(A1:Z1000)

    will return the highest value in a range. If you need to know where it is you will need to use VBA. I can post the code here if you require. Alternatively I have an add-in available free of charge to anyone who requests it that will do this for you. To get this please feel free to e-mail me on [email protected].

    HTH

    DominicB

  3. #3

    required for the whole work book

    Actually I require the formula so that I get the max value in the entire workbook for a cell reference in the first worksheet which contains a list of items and the subsequent sheets contain monthwise data.

  4. #4
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Hi Brshm

    Say you have 5 worksheets, named Shheet1,2,3,4 and 5.
    The formula below will find the highest value in cell A1 in each of those sheets.

    =MAX(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1)

    Is that what you wanted?

    HTH

    DominicB

  5. #5

    max value in a workbook

    Let me explain the problem.
    1st sheet contains a list of legal court case numbers and their details.
    The following sheets contain the court hearing dates of these court cases, one worksheet corresponding to one month. Each month the dates for a particular case may come more than once.
    I need to prepare a report which shows all the court cases alongwith their latest date of hearing taken automatically from the various monthly worksheets.

    Hope that explains the problem. Thanks for taking interest in the problem.
    Last edited by brshm; 05-24-2005 at 07:13 AM.

  6. #6
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Maximum value in a workbook

    This sounds like a question for the programming newsgroup
    NOTE: do not put Re in subject line since this makes your message look like
    an answer rather than a question

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme