File Linking Problem

  1. #1

    File Linking Problem

    Hi, i gonna try to explain my problem but its a bit difficult.

    For example:
    in A1, A2, A3, i have parts of filenames!
    the content of A1 = 2003
    A2 = 2004
    A3 = 2005
    and the file names are: yearresults2003.xls
    yearresults2004.xls
    yearresults2005.xls
    its just an example, for explaining easely,
    i have hundreds of numberic files like that :-)

    in B1 i like to have a counting result of that file
    yes i can link that, but i doesn't go automaticly
    i have something like this then in B1:
    =COUNT('[yearresults2003.XLT]sheet1'!$D$6:$D$47)

    Now on the place 2003 I want to have the content of A1
    It would be something like: yearresults(=A1).xls
    =Count('[yearresults(=A1).xls]sheet1'!$D$6:$D$47)
    But that didn't work, how can i link it with the content of cel A1?

    Thats problem 1,

    Problem 2 is the file is possibly on to locations... an old and new one
    How can i make it that he atomatic find the right location

    for ex.

    c:\excelfiles\newlocation\
    c:\excelfiles\oldlocation\

    it is no problem to copple a form with it with selection box for the folder, but what code should i use for that?

    AND!

    the location is for the formula in B1, B2 of problem 1
    sow i get something like
    =Count('[c:\excelfiles\newlocation\yearresults(=A1).xls]sheet1'!$D$6:$D$47)

    but that didn't work at all, how do i solve that problem

    Thx for your support!!!! please help me out :-)
    it has to go sow automaticly as possible, but all the solutions are welcome...

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: File Linking Problem

    The only built-in way to reference other sheets indirectly as you want is
    with the INDIRECT function. You might check it out in Help. But those
    sheets must be in open workbooks. INDIRECT will not work with closed files.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Daniel CHEN
    Guest

    Re: File Linking Problem

    Suppose

    you have year number in A1 like "2003"
    you have sheet name in B1 like "sheet1"
    starting cell is "D6" and ending cell is "D47"

    Then you should use a formula like:

    =COUNT(OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(6,4,,,"[yearresults"&A1&".xls]"&B1)),0,0,42,1))

    (where 6,4 represent D6, 42,1 represents 42 rows (from D6 to D47) and 1
    column, "[yearresults"&A1&".xls]" represent workbook file name.

    ===== * ===== * ===== * =====
    Daniel CHEN

    [email protected]
    www.Geocities.com/UDQServices
    >Free Data Processing Add-in<

    ===== * ===== * ===== * =====

    Workbook File Name Sheet Name Starting Row Starting Column Range
    Height Range Width Sum Range

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    gonna try it now, sorry for my bad english by the way
    i tought you can link with closed files in visual basic...
    maybe i can open fil in visual basic
    with screen updating on false, sow they would'nt see, then update and close...

    gonna try it, thank you allready

  5. #5
    Stil doesn't work :'(

    maybe i have to mail it to you? the can you take a look