Rank Question

  1. #1
    Andrew
    Guest

    Rank Question

    I have numerous numbers in a column. I want to rank numbers from two
    different ranges. Eg rows 2 - 50 and 150 - 200. i have tried selecting
    these cells and using the rank formula but it doesnt work.

    Can someone tell me if this is possible.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Rank Question

    Hi!

    Use a named range.

    Assume "rows 2 - 50 and 150 - 200" means A2:A50 and A150:A200.

    Select the first range A2:A50. Hold down the CTRL key and select the second
    range A150:A200.

    In the Name box enter a name for that combined range. I'll use the name
    "range".

    Then in say, B2 enter this formula and copy down to B50:

    =RANK(A2,range)

    Then you would need to enter it again in B150:

    =RANK(A150,range)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Rank Question

    Assuming that your data are in column A (starting at A2), and you want the
    rankings to go to column B, in B2 enter
    =if(and(row(A2)>50,row(A2)<150),"",rank(A2,($A$2:$A$50,$A150:$A$200)))
    and fill in the formula for the rest of the column B (i.e., till B200).
    Please note that this formula will give equal ranks for ties.

    B.R.Ramachandran

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    copy both the ranges in some hidden column or sheet in one range, and use this range to rank.

    Mangesh