Bar-Line Combo Chart

  1. #1

    Bar-Line Combo Chart

    This question is for Jon...

    I found your explanation of this (http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...LineCombo.html) extremely helpful! But I noticed that the chart only works on the range of 3 to 10 data points. With less than 3 or with more than 10 data points, the lines get out of alignment with the bars (the bars and the vertical axis labels remain properly aligned, but the lines no longer do). If you know how to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate your reply. Thank you so much.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Bar-Line Combo Chart

    Hi,

    Sure Jon won't mind me jumping in.
    The points don't line up as the secondary y axis has changed it's
    maximum value so you need stop it being automatic and specify the value.
    The best time to do that is when you change the 1st bar series into
    xy-scatter, BUT do not change these 2 properties until you have set the
    secondary y axis.
    • Categories in reverse order
    • Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum category

    Then your points should align, as long as the maximum value you specify
    is correct.

    If you have already built your chart then you can unset those 2
    properties. Then you the Chart Options to first remove the secondary y
    axis. The again to apply it, when you re-apply the axis you should then
    be able to select and set it.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Andy,

    Thanks for your reply. The one thing I seem to be unable to do is get the secondary Y axis to display. I've turned it off and on again using Chart Options, but I can't get it to show. How do I get it to work?

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Bar-Line Combo Chart

    Have you unchecked the crosses at maximum AND In reverse order flags for
    the main Y axis?

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bar-Line Combo Chart

    My web page was written based on Excel 97. The secondary Y axis was
    never explicitly scaled for the data. A maximum value between 3 and 8
    for a typical chart size just happened to display properly with the
    default scale settings.

    In earlier version of Excel (97 and maybe 2000), when you add the
    scatter series, only the secondary X axis appears automatically, not the
    secondary Y axis. To display this axis, go to Chart Options on the Chart
    menu, click on the Axes tab, and check the Secondary Y Axis box.

    In Excel 2003 (and presumably 2002), changing the second series to a
    Scatter type adds both secondary axes. This is among the very few
    charting enhancements that has come along since Excel 97; another is the
    expanded options for data labels.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP