AUtomatically hiding a row when a certain cell is blank

  1. #1
    kirbster1973
    Guest

    AUtomatically hiding a row when a certain cell is blank

    Hi there,

    I have a table which shows the languages spoken by children in our school.
    In column B are all the possible languages, Column C shows the number of
    chidlren who speak that particular language. WHen I break this down into
    class, there are some rows which have a blank cell under the number of
    chidlren who speak that language.

    I would like to be able to automatically hide any row that has that
    particular cell as a blank.

    Is it possible?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    choose a cell you would like to hide.
    choose "conditional formatting" in the format menu.
    choose "formula is"
    type: =isblank(c3) [assuming you're in row 3]
    choose white font (or the same color as your worksheet background).
    press ok.

    now to copy this format to the rest of the cells:
    copy that cell you just applied this to.
    highlight all the cells in that column you want to possibly hide.
    Right click>>choose paste special>>choose format.

    Hope this is what you're looking for.

  3. #3
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Another option is to use Auto-Filter on your range of data. On the drop down for the Number of Students, select Non-Blanks. This will hide all rows that have a blank cell in this column.

    The benefit of this is that when you do get a student that speaks that language, you simple need to select (Blanks), enter your number in the appropriate row and then re-select (NonBlanks)

    Would this work for you?
    For detailed info and training on autofilter, type "all about auto filter" in the help box in Excel.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  4. #4
    kirbster1973
    Guest

    Re: AUtomatically hiding a row when a certain cell is blank

    Hi there, I'd thought of that but i'd want the whole table to reduce from the
    26 rows down to maybe 9 or 10 which is typically the number of different
    languages in a class with a total number of children at the bottom, Currently
    I have a table with 26 languages which are spoken across the school, the
    number of kids speaking each language is claculated by a SUM PRODUCT formula
    relating to another sheet, therefore each time it finds a language it counts
    it, if it doesn't find the language it leaves the cell blank, therefore at
    the end I have maybe 15 or 16 languages showing but nothing in the "number"
    cell. I ideally, would like to be able to shrink the number of cells by
    hiding the blank cells but keep the layout of the table.

    Hope this makes sense!!

  5. #5
    kirbster1973
    Guest

    Re: AUtomatically hiding a row when a certain cell is blank

    Absolutely perfect thankyou, just recorded a macro and assigned a button to
    do exactly that.

    Thanks alot

  6. #6
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    I am glad this worked for you. Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated.

    Cheers!

    Bruce